We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

f1 weekend

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
f1 weekend

hi we are in istabnbul for 3 full days but 2 of them will be taken up by the f1 gp can anyone advise on what sites to see for the 1day we have also recomend any restaurants we are staying at the derreset hotel which i belive is near all the sites also will we need to book restaurants in advanvce is the city very busy over that weekend thanks

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
1. Re: f1 weekend

Hi Sebastien: your hotel is near all of the sites you want to see: Aya Sofya, Blue Mosque, Cisterns, Hippodrome, Topkapi Palace, Museum of Islamic Art, Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar.

Look for restaurants in our permanent topic on top of the forum homepage called Istanbul Restaurant Picks. As far as reservations are concerned the higher end restaurants will need reservations like Sarnic, Kordon Balik, otherwise you'll be fine although you might have to wait for a table.

How wonderful, you are really going to enjoy Istanbul and the Formula One. Have a great trip. LemonLady

scotland
2. Re: f1 weekend

thank for your advice lemonlady i have enjoyed reading your posts

NY, NY/Istanbul...
3. Re: f1 weekend

Hi Again: glad I could help. Glad you are taking the time to see Istanbul since a lot of people just come for the races and don't see this magnificent place. How are you getting out to the venue? I think others f1 goers will be interested. LL

scotland
4. Re: f1 weekend

hi lemonlady i dont know yet how to get to f1site the hotel says there will be plenty public transport and they wii let me know when time table is published how much would a taxi cost do you know thanks

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 30
5. Re: f1 weekend

Hi Sebastien!

If you have just one day for seeing the highlights of Istanbul I recommend to visit the Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia, Grand Bazar and The Cisterns. Maybe you have time left to walk to the Spice Market too.

The Topkapi Palace is one of my favourites but there is so much to see. The only option could be line up early in the morning and spend just a few hours inside. They serve a very good lunch inside at the Konyali restaurant. Spectacular views over Bosphorus!

The afternoon you still have to visit some other sites....

If you miss out on Topkapi I still recommend to have a dinner in Konyali restaurant, take the metro to Levent and visit the very interesting mall Kanyon. There is a Konyali too here and more chique. Very very good food and service!

Mall are open untill 22.00 so maybe you get a chance to spend an everening after the races there.

As LemonLady asks; how do you think to go to the races? I live somewhere between Bosphorus and the racetrack. The F1 is a bit in the middle of nowhere, close to Sabiha Gökecen airport.

So far I could only think of taking the ferry to Bostanci and there continue by taxi.

Taxi's are quite cheap, in case you can share it is a good way of transport. The real bottleneck for always trafficjams are the 2 bridges to cross the Bosphorus.

Enjoy yourself!

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
6. Re: f1 weekend

Hi sebastien,

I've visited F1 last year and Istanbul Park is located closed to Sabiha Gokcen Airport, area called "Kurtkoy". Traffic jam is a big problem, we spent 1 hour to reach but 5 hours to turn back by car.

I dont know how will you get your ticket but if you dont buy on your own, (for eg. sponsors) ask them if there're any arrangements for transportation. Taxi would cost nearly 60-70 YTL for Sabiha Gokcen airport so it should be nearly the same but in traffic jam, the taximeter would still work, so you may pay more than this. If you can't organize a shuttle or something, I advice you to use public buses. For 2 days there'll be buses from many locations to Istanbul Park. I can tell you the nearest stop a few days before your visit.

dont hesitate if you've further questions,

best wishes,

Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

NY, NY/Istanbul...
7. Re: f1 weekend

Thanks Alper, I am sure we'll have a lot of inquiry from F1 goers. Is there any bus service out there specially for race goers. From Taxim perhaps? Being a big event the organizers should take traffic into consideration and provide bus service, last year the traffic was terrible I hear. LL

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
8. Re: f1 weekend

Hi LL and all,

Sure, there will be buses from many points to Istanbul Park. The organization was very good last year and heard that traffic is the main problem also at the other circuits around the world as vehicles are coming and turning back at the same time.

The bus routes are not announced yet but when the time comes, I'll advice Formula people some more methods on transportation. Using ferry than bus can be easier but let's see bus routes first.

By the way here's the official site for Istanbul Park:

http://www.formula1-istanbul.com/f1/en/

Best wishes, Alper

NY, NY/Istanbul...
9. Re: f1 weekend

Thanks Alper: I am glad that people are coming to Istanbul to see the forumula 1 and I hope they have a chance to see other things as well. Your information is top notch as usual. Happy Day, LemonLady

San Francisco
reviews: 47
10. Re: f1 weekend

I also went to F1. The bus was arranged by the company via local agents so we were in a comfortable air-conditioned 20-seater bus. The bus driver picked us up at the hotel at 9 am and we got to Istanbul Park at around noon. The race started at 1 pm. The trip there took 3 hours and we had to walk since there was a jam close to the park. Traffic is a huge problem! We hung out in the area for an hour an a half after the races so there was light traffic on the way back and it took about an hour to reach Nisantasi where I got off.

If there's a group of you, you should arrange for a car service for the day or rent a cab for a day and negotiate a reasonable price. I did that in Antalya for sightseeing. The fastest way but rather costly is by helicopter.

I suggest you book a table at 360 (or Mikla) for good food and fantastic views of Istanbul. I took my Italian friend there during the F1 weekend and he loved it even if Schumi/Ferarri lost at F1.