We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

istanbul turkey

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kamloops, Canada
istanbul turkey

We are visiting the Blue Mosque, St. Sophia Museum, Topkapi Palace and the Grand Bazaar. We are on a tour and was wondering how far the Spice Market is from where we will be. I have read in other posting it should not be missed. Any comments would be appreciated.

Singapore
reviews: 42
1. Re: istanbul turkey

Hey good post, because I'm wondering the same thing, but never thought of asking here :)

Kamloops, Canada
2. Re: istanbul turkey

Hopefully we will get someone who can answer our question...I will be there the end of March.

Naples, Florida
reviews: 2
3. Re: istanbul turkey

The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia & Topkapi all run in nearly a straight line from the southwest to the northeast. Topkapi at the northeast end of the area known as Seraglio Point. The Spice Bazaar is almost due west of there about 1/3 mile (550 meters). An easy walk for sure.

Naples, Florida
reviews: 2
4. Re: istanbul turkey

BTW, the above info comes from a map in the D-K Eyewitness Guide book on Istanbul (which I highly recommend).

Singapore
reviews: 42
5. Re: istanbul turkey

Oh I will be there mid-march (13 March til 20 March)!!

I will be staying at Sari Konak... does this mean that Spice Bazaar is within walkable distance?

Btw.... is it safe to walk along the streets at night? We are exploring Istanbul only with the help of our LonelyPlanet guide book, and we want to avoid cabs as much as we can...

Southern Highlands...
reviews: 49
6. Re: istanbul turkey

Noshi you won't have any problems walking around at night, just keep you wits about you and you will be fine. When I was in Istanbul I didn't use any cabs at all (usually I do in most places I visit) it's very easy to get around. I also used the Lonely Planet Guide book both the Turkey and Istanbul one and found everything easily, read postings on this web site they will also help you alot. Have a good trip.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
7. Re: istanbul turkey

Hi bc Canada: first of all no worry about walking about either day or night in Istanbul, I do it all of the time. Just use normal caution as you would in any foreign city. Check out the FAQs page for tips on getting about.

Now, you can walk from Grand Bazaar to Spice Bazaar, I do it all of the time and I highly recommend walking. It's so exciting to see all of the shops and people. I always discover something wonderful each time I make this walk.

From the Grand Bazaar you can walk north on Uzuncarsi Street (Longmarket Street), lots of markets, lol. and you will arrive at the Spice Bazaar. You will see the Yeni Camii a landmark Mosque. Also try and see Rustam Camii a jewel of a Mosque.

Don't forget to get scent from Orhan at 31 Misr Carsisi and look at the neat jewelry at Gozde at number 23.

Happy Travel, LemonLady

PS just want to add that in all these years I never used a map in Istanbul, sure I got a little lost but those proved to be the most interesting of walks. Someone always got me to where I needed to go.

Kamloops, Canada
8. Re: istanbul turkey

we are sailing on the new Carnival Freedom, 2nd sailing. A question about currency. While off ship should we bring Euro cash or U.S. cash? Or just U.S. cash and U.S. travellers cheques. Or U.S. cash and a Visa card? Now that all are on Euro what do they prefer? Or what is easier.? Thanks for any feedback.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
reviews: 3
9. Re: istanbul turkey

Hi Again: i always use my debit card to get local currency, YTL, New Turkish Lira from cash machines which are all over Istanbul. You need a 4 digit pin number for Turkey and it is also a good idea to notify your bank where you will be traveling so they don't freeze your card as they did mine in East Turkey in 2004.

I use my credit card for large purchases, rugs, jewelry, etc but turkish lira for most anything else. Hope this helps.

LL

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
reviews: 25
10. Re: istanbul turkey

The only thing to avoid is travellers cheques, these can be a hassle to change - you don't want to waste your precious time looking for a Change Office or bank - and the exchange rates are not so good.

Best if you do as LL says so you have currency for food and drinks and other small purchases but otherwise euros and dollars are bothw widely accepted, just make sure you have made up a little ready reckoner before you go on holiday so you can quickly work out how much you are being charged.