We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary opinions?

Which Turkey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
reviews: 3
Itinerary opinions?

My wife and I are taking a 2-week trip to Turkey in April 2014. We intend to spend the first 3-4 days in Istanbul and then get out driving to see more of the country. The only definite plan is to see Cappadocia. We would also like to see Izmir and Ephesus; and Antalya doesn't seem like a bad stopping point between this area and Cappadocia.

Thoughts? Is it unrealistic to try to do a loop of Istanbul-Izmir-Antalya-Cappadocia-Istanbul (via Ankara) in 2 weeks? We're not afraid to spend some time driving; but we don't want to make the trip overly arduous, either. Thanks for any suggestions.

The New Forest, UK
reviews: 11
1. Re: Itinerary opinions?

A 2 week figure-of-eight trip would be possible - 3-4 days Istanbul, fly to Cappadocia, spend 2-3 days, fly to Izmir, rent a car and spend a week driving to Antalya for flight back to Istanbul.

Istanbul, Turkey
reviews: 1
2. Re: Itinerary opinions?

Agreed,perfectly doable.When you trace David's route on a map it looks like a big dog leg but actually it works out very well,taking advantage of cheap domestic flights on the longer routes and from their cheapest points too.

This is worth doing and save the driving for shorter and local journies due to the hideous cost of fuel here in Turkey!

New Orleans...
3. Re: Itinerary opinions?

I'm always torn between flying and driving within a country. I do feel that one gets a special sense of the countryside by driving. To me a day spent mostly driving isn't a wasted day; it's a chance to see a broader expanse of the country. However, I have a feeling you would discourage driving between, say, Istanbul and Izmir or Antalya and Goreme. Am I right? I understand the cost would be higher.

Thanks again for your responses. I appreciate the advice.

New Orleans...
4. Re: Itinerary opinions?

Here's my updated thinking: spend 3.5 days in Istanbul, fly to Izmir and spend 2 days there and in Selcuk/Ephesus, hire a car and drive to Antalya, spend one full day there, drive to Cappadocia (Goreme) and stay there 2 days, return the car in Kayseri and fly back to Istanbul from there. That way we rent the car for less than a week and lose two fewer days to driving. Reasonable?

The New Forest, UK
5. Re: Itinerary opinions?

Although it's possible, I wouldn't recommend doing Antalya to Cappadocia in one hit by car. If you spend 2 days doing it, you can spend the night at Egirdir or Beysehir and do some sightseeing along the way. Worth visiting a few hans on that Silk Road - http://www.turkishhan.org/visiting.htm

Also Çatalhöyük - http://www.catalhoyuk.com/ - a World Heritage site.

Edited: 4:56 am, November 06, 2013
New Orleans...
6. Re: Itinerary opinions?

I have to admit I didn't realize that Çatalhöyük was so near our proposed route. I'll have to factor that in. Thanks for pointing this out.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 27
7. Re: Itinerary opinions?

If you go Beysehir make sure to go to the old wooden Esrefoglu mosque.

I am going to rent a motorbike whilst in Alanya and will visit there as a day trip.

The hans would definitely be worth a visit.

New Orleans...
8. Re: Itinerary opinions?

I'm now leaning toward stopping in Beysehir for a night on our way from Antalya to Cappadocia. It seems like an appealing place in its own right; and we could then stop and see the Aksaray Sultan Han on our way to Goreme. I'm glad I asked. Thanks so much, everyone.

http://www.turkishhan.org/sultanaksaray.htm

The New Forest, UK
9. Re: Itinerary opinions?

There's also the nice Hittite monument of Eflatun Pinar - http://www.hittitemonuments.com/eflatunpinar/ - just up the road from Beysehir, here - http://goo.gl/maps/HKDgI

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 33
10. Re: Itinerary opinions?

To bump myself between the questions and answers...

My opinion is rent a car, even the petrol price is so high, we almost always choose to take the care only if we have very little time to travel up and down destinations. The only part so far that İ thought was least interesting is İstanbul to İzmir, so you could choose to fly even driving is just a few hours.

The yes, drive either along to coast to Fethiye, drive up to Eğirdir, then on to Akşehir over Konya to Göreme (İ know you skip Antalya... but you done a big part of the coast and Eğirdir is stunning)

or drive over Pamukkale down to Fethiye to Antalya and then via Manavgat up to Beyşehir (agreed this is a lovely place to visit) and then on the Cappadocia. İ did not think the drive from Manavgat to Göreme was too long. And we did visit the wooden mosque and had a lunch on the side of the lake.

Then which ever of the two you choose, fly from Cappadocia back to İstanbul.

Renting a car is not too expensive, only when place or drop off is different to the pick up it will be more costly as you are depending on the larger rental companies.

Cheers!