We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uzbekistan - Recommendations much appreciated

UK
reviews: 3
Uzbekistan - Recommendations much appreciated

Hello everyone.

We are planning a trip to Uzbekistan at the end of September/early October, and are trying to track down good places to stay for several days in each location.

This is the route:

Tashkent - Samarqand - via Sarmysh Gorge - Bukhara - Khiva - Tashkent

We are both photographers, so plan to really spend some quality time exploring.

We are seasoned travellers, so not interested in a very touristy kind of experience (and do not want to be in a hotel with a big busload of package tourists. I have heard very mixed reviews about some hotels.

We can afford to splurge, but not looking to go hotels just because they are the most expensive.

Comments on the route, where to avoid, what to see, from anyone who has firsthand knowledge of the area and personal experience with any of the hotels, or the region welcome.

We are then considering going onward from Tashkent and down into the Ferghana Valley and on into Kyrgyzstan. Any information on the logistics, the weather pattern in the second week of October and suggestions of a driving loop taking in the best highlights much appreciated.

Best and my thanks,

Miffy O’

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
reviews: 2
1. Re: Uzbekistan - Recommendations much appreciated

This is a bit too broad of a question (or set of questions) to really answer in a post here. The itinerary, in terms of areas you want to visit is good. The biggest issue is going to be transportation. In some cases - such as Tashkent/Samarkand/Bukhara - there is relative modern rail travel. As far as driving, you will have to arrange a car and driver. Since you intend to stay several days in each location, it would make sense for you to arrange a car and driver in each location to take you to the next location on your itinerary.

There are a wide range of hotels in each of these places, varying in cost, amenities, etc. You are always likely to hear mixed reviews about just about any hotel. People have different expectations, perspectives, etc. A few possibilities:

Tashkent: Tashkent Palace (formerly Les Meridien), Dedemon Silk Road (part of a Turkish chain). There are plenty of others. You can find out more by doing some research on the Internet.

Samarkand: Malika (there are two), President.

Bukhara: Asia Bukhara, Malika Bukhara. There are also a number of nice B&B's including Sasha and Son, Emir, Amelia Boutique (which are in the old Jewish Quarter). I personally recommend AVOIDING the Bukhara Palace and Grand Bukhara.

Khiva: Shaherezada Khiva (actually a B&B, just inside the city walls), Malika, Hotel Asia.

These are just a few suggestions of places with which I have some personal familiarity. There are plenty of other places in each of these cities. If you have specific properties you've heard of, I can give you a reaction to them.

Most of the places I've listed here are going to be in the 50-100 USD range.

Weather in Uzbekistan can be unpredictable at times, however, late September/early October is usually quite nice, starting to get cooler but normally not yet cold.

Hope this helps a bit.

UK
reviews: 3
2. Re: Uzbekistan - Recommendations much appreciated

Thank you so much for the sound advise. Much appreciated.

This is what we have the picked from your list:

Hotel Dedeman Silk Road, Tashkent

Hotel Malika Prima, Samarkand

Hotel Malika, Khiva

Bukhara - TBA - The Minzifa Hotel, Bukhara was recommended by a 'friend of a friend' any feed back on this guest house welcomed.

Kindest regards.

Tashkent, Uzbekistan
reviews: 2
3. Re: Uzbekistan - Recommendations much appreciated

These are all good choices. Bear in mind some of the nicer boutique hotels get filled up during tourist season (you'll be on the outer edge). Last summer, I was in Bukhara in September and couldn't get into the Malika - even though I knew one of the owners (he has since sold his interest).

Best to book in advance if you can. All of these have websites.

4. Re: Uzbekistan - Recommendations much appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, February 08, 2010