We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local tea brands

Which Sri Lanka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ho Chi Minh city
reviews: 17
local tea brands

Hi,

I would like to buy home some high quality Ceylon tea in Sri Lanka manufactured by local brands. Could anyone please suggest some names and their showrooms' addresses?

Thanks

Van

Hannover, Germany
reviews: 1
1. Re: local tea brands

You can buy direckly from the tea factory in the hill country

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
2. Re: local tea brands

Hi Van,

Mlesna (spelling?) has a nice range of showrooms countrywide, including two impressive castles/forts near Talawakele (Devon Falls) and Pilimatalawa (Kandy). Next to this Nestea, Ceylonta, Dilmah's, quite a lot. If you're short of time simply visit Laksala shops in the main tourist towns, they resell gift packages of these teas but of course at a small surcharge.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 274
3. Re: local tea brands

Hi,

Dilmah tea is quite famous in Sri Lanka and they do export their teas as well. There is also Lipton tea available here and they can be found at any super market. And yes. Melsna of course

Check out the following links;

http://www.dilmahtea.com/

http://www.liptontea.com/

http://www.mlesnateas.com/

Rgds,

Treshi.

Edited: 4:03 am, July 18, 2013
Brisbane
reviews: 63
4. Re: local tea brands

We were very disappointed with the tea we bought at Laksala and also from the Tea shop in the Mall at Kandy. I suspect the more bitter low country teas had been mixed in. Can't remember the specific names now . Looking at buying from the factories on our visit again. Try, then buy.

Archi

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
5. Re: local tea brands

I always buy un-blended BOP or BOPF.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
6. Re: local tea brands

Another good one currently at home hence Sandya-approved: Zesta.

Archi's advice is sound, first try. Find it weird that lowcountry teas would be mixed in, as recently in the forum it was reported that

* Yes they taste inferior to upcountry in the local tea style and that of most Westerners, which is brewing the tea (bag) with hot water

* But prices on local wholesale market are HIGHER for the lowcountry teas than the upcountry. Apparently these are popular for export to Middle East, to be used for the strong Arabian tea (small cups with far more tea per litre than the Ceylon/Western style)

And if that's true, then for what commercial reason would a local producer mix the more-expensive low country tea in the cheaper upcountry tea?

Must be additional reasons, hope someone can help ;-)

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ho Chi Minh city
reviews: 17
7. Re: local tea brands

Thank you all!

I'm actually not visiting Sri Lanka. My friend is. I'm a tea person having drunk tea from Vietnam, China, India, US ... my friend however is not. So I was trying to get names for her to look for for me in Sri Lanka.

Thanks to your tips, my friend's been able to buy me some Mlesna's tea. She took photos of the boxes and I honestly was very pleased. The pic of tea bag printed on the box shows the the bag's made of high quality materials. (I don't drink Lipton 'cause they always use dust tea packed in cheap paper tea bags coated with carcinogenic substances. )

I've had Dilma tea over here but frankly, I'm not so impressed. Probably because they only bring their low-end products to sell here.

It's too late to ask my friend to look for Zesta. I will look for it myself when I myself visit Sri Lanka! (What a pity AirAsia canceled its flights to Colombo :( )

Brisbane
reviews: 63
8. Re: local tea brands

Erik- I was trying to work out why the teas I usually like taste so bad now. Definitely with low country teas being so highly priced nobody would waste them by mixing with other types. Maybe my tastes have changed due to tea bag consumption!

Looking forward to buying from the factories after trying them next month.

OP is happy, anyway.

Archi

9. Re: local tea brands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 22, 2014