We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Factory outlet Colombo

Which Sri Lanka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Factory outlet Colombo

Hi, I am currently enjoying a wonderful holiday in Sri Lanka. Amazing country in all respects. I will be spending my last day in Colombo and as I have a very late flight I was hoping to use this day to do some shopping. Is it true that the Factory Outlet on Havelock Rd stocks European branded clothing at much reduced prices? Thanks for your help

Cheers

Joy

Hannover, Germany
reviews: 1
1. Re: Factory outlet Colombo

Sorry, no answer of your question, but beware of new years shopping for the next 10 days in Sri Lanka. All shops are quite full of active buyers.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 133
2. Re: Factory outlet Colombo

Yes TFO does so. And there are others: House of Fashions which is 10 mins walk away on Duplication Road, and also heard of a few shops in Ratmalana area doing this. You won't always recognise the brand as by contract they have to cut out the labels of these outlet lots, but still quality you can recognise.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: Factory outlet Colombo

You will not find (m)any branded goods in House of Fashions. I did not see any when I was the 2 weeks ago.

Hans

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Factory outlet Colombo

Thank you for your prompt and helpful advice. Cheers, Joyce

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
5. Re: Factory outlet Colombo

Was at House of Fashions 3 weeks ago, and saw plenty of ex-branded goods. 'Ex' as, like written above, the brand labels were cut out - but for some I recognized Western or Japanese market brands.

It's less than before indeed but for many people still worth it...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
6. Re: Factory outlet Colombo

I wonder which department you found plenty of branded clothes. The majority of clothes in Sri Lanka are imported from China, Indonesia, India and Thailand.

Hans

London, United...
reviews: 11
7. Re: Factory outlet Colombo

Hi

I heard that those are quality reject , damaged products hitting local market. is that correct?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
8. Re: Factory outlet Colombo

No uncorrect.

A Lankan factory like any other factory must take into account 5% 'waste' in the production (quality reject). Hence for an order of 10,000 they produce 10,500. If they are lucky they have less rejects, e.g. 300 rejected and 200 okay - but they can only ship to the Western retailer 10,000. The remaining 200 are for outlets.

Of course it does happen that quality rejects/damaged goods also get sold but they should never be sold as normal products. Haven't seen any of these at TFO or House of Fashions, but possibly some bazaar shops in e.g. Pettah have them; as long as the damage is clearly indicated and the rebate is a lot heavier than on the 200 outlet pieces it could be an option...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS Hans, replace your glasses and have another look at the Men's department at House of Fashions ;-)

London, United...
reviews: 11
9. Re: Factory outlet Colombo

Thanks Erik.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
10. Re: Factory outlet Colombo

No need to replace glasses! When I went there 2 weeks ago I did not see any branded goods there.

Hans