We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alankuda or Negombo?

Which Sri Lanka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Alankuda or Negombo?

Hi there!

I am deciding between Alankuda Beach and Negombo Beach. Has anyone been to both and is able to advice which is better? I've been surfing internet for info but seem to be getting mixed reviews...

Also, do let me know if there are other alternatives to these 2 beaches. Basically I am looking for a clean, quieter beach to go to.. which is located just 2-3 hours (not more than 4 hours) away NORTH side from the airport.

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 11:27 am, August 26, 2012
Berlin, Germany
reviews: 6
1. Re: Alankuda or Negombo?

negombo is not good beach. oil spill from Panadura being carried by sea currents to negombo right now making more terrible.

from alankuda beach can see smoke chimney of new no-pollution control Chinese coal power station and nice view of coal barges. here is view from alankuda beach showing nice chimney with coal barge pier:

allosurf.net/v3/uploadIMGspots/lightbox/3000…

here is close up view no-pollution control Chinese power station

www.colombopage.com/imgs_11/mr_032211_01.jpg

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
2. Re: Alankuda or Negombo?

I'm afraid Kalpitiya beach is the only thing meeting your wishes. And, whilst having great snorkel/diving reefs, currently has a lot of building work so not easy to find a place which is quiet at daytime also.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Singapore, Singapore
3. Re: Alankuda or Negombo?

766Andrzej766:

It's a pity to have all these spoiling the view of a beautiful beach, isn't it? :(

But seems like Alankuda is still a better choice. I don't have time to travel east to other beaches :(

Erik&Sandya:

Will only be at the beach for 2 nights. So hopefully we won't be that affected. My husband and I are thinking doing kite surfing at Alankuda. I suppose it's the season now, right?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
4. Re: Alankuda or Negombo?

Hi again,

Yes it's kitesurfing season there. But Alankuda has seen as much of construction as the more northern part of the Kalpitiya peninsula (which also has huge reefs, unlike Alankuda) so hopefully not much building noise left. And yes the power plant is near but whether it spoils your view or not will depend on the exact hotel.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Singapore, Singapore
5. Re: Alankuda or Negombo?

Erik&Sandya:

Once again, thank you for the quick response.

We will be at Palagama Beach Hotel. Decided to splurge a little on the beach.. since it is going to be our last 2 nights in SL. I do hope this is Ok...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
6. Re: Alankuda or Negombo?

No idea, it's still on your to-visit list as we did not get further than Puttalam uptil now. But maybe 766Andrzej766 knows more about the detailed locations and views per hotel, let's wait and see...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
7. Re: Alankuda or Negombo?

Hi,

I am at Jetwing Blu at the moment. The sea is good, beach is clean and no sign of the oil spill.

Ken.

Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: Alankuda or Negombo?

Cool! Kenwich, thanks for the updates! :)

I hope it stays this way... !

london
reviews: 29
9. Re: Alankuda or Negombo?

Hi, i'd like to go to Alakunda this august. is this a good time of year, and is it possible to get there without your own transport?

thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
10. Re: Alankuda or Negombo?

Depends on what you're looking for. The sea is too rough for swimming, and also snorkel/dive won't be great as the sea outside the reefs tends to stir up the sand and make visibility bad.

Yes there are trains (and buses) upto Puttalam and from there you'd have to rely on 1-2 other buses.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]