We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

Which Sri Lanka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
reviews: 2
Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

Does anybody know anything about the status of this ferry? I heard that the ferry from South India to Sri Lanka has been restarted (in late 2011) but I have since heard that the ferry has been impounded by the Sri Lankan authorities. We are planning to travel from Indian to Sri Lanka in early March. Any information would be gratefully received.

34 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

Hi Janis,

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

The ferry was restarted but did not last long. The company did not pay their bunkering bills and was 'arrested' at Colombo Port in November IIRC.

I haven't seen any news about when and even if the ferry will start sailing again.

Flights from Chennai to Colombo are relatively cheap as their is quite heavy competition on that route.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 132
2. Re: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

Correct. Ferry 2.0 is 'under discussion'...

colombopage.com/archive_12/Jan11_1326263425C…

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, England...
3. Re: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

Thanks for the quick response. It really does seem astonishing that there is no BASIC ferry service between India and Sri Lanka (I hear the impounded ferry was pretty luxorious and doomed to struggle to keep going). I will investigate the Chennai flights and also between Trivandrum and Colombo.

London, England...
4. Re: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

Thanks Erik and Sandya. I wonder how fast these things change? Good to hear that discussions are taking place - perhaps travellers later in the year will benefit. I will certainly keep an eye on the "ColomboPage".

Timbuktu, Mali
5. Re: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

I'm sure it will all get sorted out once the correct palms are greased.

( And I am not referring to trees )

Mumbai
reviews: 154
6. Re: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

Has the ""Ferry Service" between India and Sri Lanka resumed in June-2012? If Not when will it resume.Intend traveloing to Sri Lanka from india by sea as it is a total different experience compared to the normal air route.Please advice.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
7. Re: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

The Colombo-Tuticorin ferry has been abandoned. Plans are on the way to re-start Talaimannar-Rameshwaram ferry sometime in the future.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k5…

Hans

Mumbai
reviews: 154
8. Re: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

Thanks for the information Frederecia. Read in the "Hindu Paper" on googling that the "COLOMBO-TUTICORIN" ferry service would resume by April-2012 .Today we are at the end of June but there is no information after that about the present status of the ferry service.

Rameswaram, India
9. Re: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

Just want to update this thread, There is absolutely no ferry going from India to Sri Lanka, I tried all the possibilities while beiing in India and it is not possible.

As of 11 feb 2013 there is no ferryservice from OR Tuticorin OR Rameswaram.

Cheers,

Krijn

Pune
10. Re: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka

Any update on this topic? Currently Is there any ferry from any city in South India to any city in Srilanka?

Reply to: Ferry from South India to Sri Lanka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted