We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bandos - Advice

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunny Surrey !!!
Bandos - Advice

Going to Bandos on 16th Feb with my wife and 6 and a half year old son so have many questions to ask. Staying at Bandos on H/B basis in Junior suite. Has anyone stayed in a Junior suite lately? How nice are they and do they supply another bed for a 3/4th person? Is there enough room for children in these rooms? Do they supply hairdryer (wife's question). Did you meet other families with children whilst on holiday there? What 's the electricity voltage/plug socket? Do we need to pack towels or can we hire them on a daily basis? Should we buy snorkeling equipment before we go? Any trips recommended?

Does 20kg baggage allowance only apply to sea plane or speed boat as well? Did anyone use the kids club, should we use or avoid? Is the food good for children and is there lots for them to do there? Night time entertainment?

How much US$ should we take? Did anyone settle their bill in travellers cheques and not credit card? Want to buy US$ currency as very good against the £ at the moment. Lastly flying with Sri Lankan Airways on a night flight, has anyone flown with them and does anyone have any helpful tips about flying with a child?

Lastly, is the building work on Spa not too bad have just received a letter from travel agents!!!!

Thanks ever so much, any answers/advice so appreciated

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 19
1. Re: Bandos - Advice

i can't answer all your questions but i can make a dent :

you will most likely meet other families with kids , since bandos is the maldivian mecca for children. the kids club and babysitting service is supposed to be good .

is there "lots to do for children"? well.. there is if your kid is the quiet type that loves the water and wildlife and will spend a lot of time snorkeling and swimming. other than that, it's still a maldivian island, not disneyland and by that virtue it's not a typical kiddie type destination.

snorkeling equipment is always better purchased ahead. every island has rental stuff , but an ill fitting mask can really put a big damper on snorkel fun and especially the kiddo should have one that really fits his face . also .. who really wants to bite on a mouthpiece that hundreds of others have chewed on?!

buy in a dive store, not a generic sporting goods store , unless a staff member is a diver or experienced snorkeler and can help you pick exactly the right fit. don't go in a hurry .. it takes a little time to work your way through the selection and make sure .

junior might do better with a kid snorkel .. depending on his size . again.. ask for advice . oftentimes ladies also prefer a smaller mouth piece for comfort.

flippers fit better when they are your own ..i would suggest to buy some too...especially for the kid . never know if they have his size for rent . if you are sure that you won't be diving .. relatively soft fins are enough for snorkeling fun.

the baggage allowance does not apply to speed boat transfer.

lots of USD in small bills for any small purchases on excursions and for tips. (see seperate current thread "tipping") . all purchases at the resort will appear on your final bill .

i have never heard of anyone paying with traveller cheques.. credit card is the norm , i believe. someone asked that before and if i remember correctly was told that most resorts are going away from accepting them . you may have to contact bandos directly and ask .

tips for flying ... just out of courtesy ... take lots of toys when flying and actually stay awake if the tyke won't sleep to entertain him and keep him quiet . many parents happily sleep through their flight while the kid goes wondering off and keeps the entire cabin awake ..and the happy parents are the only ones arriving rested .

lol.. yes, i have flown with what seems hordes of (other people's) children before and it has made me a bit leary of sitting too close to the little darlings . but on the positive side .. most of them do eventually fall asleep and even the longest flight has an end :)

2. Re: Bandos - Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, August 24, 2009