We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
reviews: 2
Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

I just booked 9 nights online, and they said that as the amount is "very large", they require a "signed authorization as proof." They want us to fill out the "Credit Card Debit Form" that was on their website, and fax it, along with a "copy of the card holder's passport signature page."

Is this common policy?

Thanks.

mamagelli

Norfolk, UK
1. Re: Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

who did you book with?

Montgomery, Wales
2. Re: Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

Hello mamagelli,

I would never, personally, fax my signature to anybody, especially when large sums of money are involved - a card with adequate credit limit should be all they need - cards going through a system when the customer is NOT present are always checked by the machine and if invalid are rejected.

Hope you have a really great holiday.

Tiggy.

Montgomery, Wales
3. Re: Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

Hello mamagelli,

I would never, personally, fax my signature to anybody, especially when large sums of money are involved - a card with adequate credit limit should be all they need - cards going through a system when the customer is NOT present are always checked by the machine and if invalid are rejected.

Hope you have a really great holiday.

Tiggy.

Lincoln, England
4. Re: Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

Do not like the sound of that at all.

If your credit card company think it is a large transaction then they will telephone you for additional authorisation - I would not personally give ANYONE a copy of my signature.

Perhaps I have been to too many phishing / money laundering / credit card fraud forums, but I would be more than a bit alarmed at this request.

Perhaps you might like to talk to the company ...

Crawley, United...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

simple answer no !!!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
6. Re: Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

Thanks for all your advice.

We're going through www.mal-dives.com

Their website looks very well organized, with offices in the UK and Singapore, as well as Maldives.

My "McAfee Site Advisor" says that their site is "green", hence "legal."

We sent them an e-mail stating how uncomfortable we were with the idea, and they said,

"Unfortunately, we do need the mentioned documents as our bank needs this for reference as proof that the payment was authorized. Otherwise we will have no proof of an authorization that the bank would accept and we need the signature page to verify the signature on the authorization form. We will need this and cannot debit the payment without these documents, hence kindly

send the same to me soon. "

We've made bigger payments elsewhere in the world!

So if we cancel, they will charge us for cancellation anyway.

Has anyone else booked through mal-dives.com?

Thanks.

mamagelli

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
7. Re: Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

Went back to have a look.

www.mal-dives.com , aka Impex Holidays.

Has anyone booked with them?

They have a 90-day, 100 percent cancellation fee -- which means, if we cancel, they'll take 100 percent (our trip is planned for Dec. 17).

I wonder how they'll deduct it if we don't send in the signature??? LOL

Will ask about bank money transfer.

Thanks!

London, United...
8. Re: Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

I have to say this doesn't sound too great, the cancellation policy in particular sounds absurdly generous to them. Not that I have any experience as to what travel agents policies are like in that part of the world but to put it in perspective these are AAA's cancellation policies for Filitheyo:

CANCELLATION POLICY

Before 15 days of arrival - no charges

Before 10 days of arrival - 25% of the full stay

Before 05 days of arrival - 100% of the full stay

Early departures and No shows - Full stay charged

Your agency's policies seem way off in comparison to that. As you say if they claim they need the signature for payment, then I would assume they couldn’t take anything from you in cancellation terms without that - so it would appear you have the initiative at the moment to a certain extent at least. I hope someone can give you better advice, but as I said it doesn't sound good to me, try and find out more information about who you are dealing with if you can, and above all else proceed with caution.

Suthampton, UK
reviews: 1
9. Re: Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

This sounds really dodgy to me. I would suggest going back to your credit card company and telling them of what the travel company is asking. They should be able to give you their opinion of why the travel company is insisting on the signature.

Good Luck!

Germany
10. Re: Faxing signatures for credit cards when booking online?

I have recommended mal-dives.com to people on here on several occasions as I think its a great place to be able to sort through resorts, find out some information about them and get a ball park idea what the cost would be. I have always noted in those recommendations that I had never personally booked through them and that I was suggesting the site merely as a tool to weed through a number of resorts.

I have never had anyplace ever ask for more than my name my credit card number my billing address and perhaps the 3 digit security code on the back of the credit card ( admittedly that is enough information right there for people to use your credit card for online or phone charges).

Without being an attorney it would seem to me that they have no right to charge you anything at this point as they never mention what seems like a rather unusual condition in their terms and conditions for booking that you agree to when filling out the online form.