We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Taxis to Hotel?

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
reviews: 7
Local Taxis to Hotel?

I have a family trip planned arriving MLE airport at 10:10pm. I'm looking into some hotel options in Hulhumale to stay the 1 night before heading to the final destination by boat the next day.

Seems a lot of the Hulhumale hotels have an airport transfer service running from $16 to $30 per person, which is quite steep being that it's only a 8-10 min drive away.

Can we take a local taxi? And how much would it cost? Are there any safety concerns or any other tips?

Thanks.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Local Taxis to Hotel?

Hi

The cost of the transfer maybe due to the fact that Male airport is not on the same island as Male its self so in order to use a hotel in Male you would have to take a boat. However, if its only for one night there is an hotel on the airport island

Darryl

Lincolnshire
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 67
2. Re: Local Taxis to Hotel?

Hulhumale is attached to the airport island however, so you don't need a ferry if that is where you are staying. Not sure about the taxi prices though.

Southern California
reviews: 7
3. Re: Local Taxis to Hotel?

Yes, Hulhumale is attached to the airport Island. Anyone else know about the taxi prices? Usually taxis aren't per person either. With 7 of us, i don't think i'd want to be paying $210 ($30/person rt) for a 10 min drive from and to the airport...

Ledbury, United...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Local Taxis to Hotel?

There is a little information (about a paragraph) in the Maldives Visitors Guide which can be found here - bottom left

http://www.visitmaldives.com/en

Pg 30/31 details about Male advise rough taxis costs of rf 20 per trip plus rf 5 extra for luggage carried and rf 25 per trip between 12 am and 6 am.

Not sure how up to date this is but it might serve as a guide - at least it indicates that you will probably need maldivian rufia rather than $US for this, and as you say you will probably need more than one taxi.

5. Re: Local Taxis to Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 18, 2014