We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymooners Starting the Search

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 3
Honeymooners Starting the Search

First let me thank all the people on this forum- the information I am finding on here is incredibly helpful. We are looking for some possible resorts that might fit us, so here goes--

Budget: $800-1100/night USD for 2 people, no children

Preferred board basis: All inclusive

Travel Dates: Jan 6-13, 2014 (one week)

-Need good snorkeling from the beach

-We are not divers, so no real need for good diving

Type of transfer: Seaplane or Speedboat, although we are wondering how expensive the seaplane transfer would be

-Water villa, hopefully with an opening in the middle of the room where you can see below

-We are active people, so maybe an island with active nightlife, pool, restaurant choices?

-We are on our honeymoon, so hopefully a resort with few children, although I know that is a tall order when the fiancee is requesting a pool

Thank you so much for any help on getting us started-

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 47
1. Re: Honeymooners Starting the Search

Komandoo meets all but one of your criteria - the water villas are lovely but have no opening in the middle of the room. It's an adult only resort with a decent house reef, 2 restaurants, some activities and entertainment, gym, and offers AI. You need to take a seaplane to get there.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2. Re: Honeymooners Starting the Search

Thanks Karla for the quick response- great looking place although I'm a little concerned it may be a bit small to keep us busy- any others that might fit the bill out there?

Ledbury, United...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Honeymooners Starting the Search

AI basis will mean you are limited to the buffet restaurant only on most islands. There are only a couple that have Select AI which allows you to eat at all the restaurants in resort and give you a choice of dining options - Reethi Beach and Kuramathi spring to mind - neither are adult only but both have a pool, have a seaplane transfer option and water villas (Reethi's are semi detached) but I'm not sure about the opening in the middle of the room - if you mean a glass viewing panel I don't think either has these - Reethi didn't when we were there.

You also need to bear in mind that AI in the Maldives does not necessarily mean everything is included - you will only find this all encompassing AI at a handful of resorts - Athuruga, Thudufushi, lily Beach (and Moofushi I think) but not all of these have multiple restaurants.

What are you hoping for when you say 'active night life'? The Maldives don't really do nightlife - maybe a dive centre video night, Bodu Beru, crab racing and the odd disco - other than that its about chilling and relaxing with a cocktail watching the sunset. There are a couple of islands that have nightclubs and some of the Italian managed resorts have more of an 'animation' programme.

Edited: 8:39 pm, June 24, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 235
4. Re: Honeymooners Starting the Search

Kuramathi has all that except the glass panel in the floor thing. A bigger island but one of the lowest density of guests per rooms which means you will harldy see anyone all day except at meal times and even then, some of the a la carte restaurants have only 14 tables so even then it is quite intimate.

Edited: 3:50 am, June 25, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
5. Re: Honeymooners Starting the Search

Hey thanks very much for the suggestions its a very good starting point. Although the glass viewing panel on the floor might be dumb- anyone know which resorts have an over water villa with one?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 19
6. Re: Honeymooners Starting the Search

most of these glass panels sit over absolutely nothing but sand .. you will see the occasional solitary fish coming through ... if you are having visions of actually seeing reef life from above , go to mirihi and just look down from the deck at a bustling reef full of life . you will find yourself sorely disappointed with the glass and wish you hadn't selected an island by that criteria

Edited: 7:11 pm, June 26, 2013
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 13
7. Re: Honeymooners Starting the Search

Anantara Dighu and kihavah have a glass, but as Spammie said, it 's over sand, so you might see one fish once if you're lucky.

Anyway they don't offer AI and are over budget...

Bedford
reviews: 46
8. Re: Honeymooners Starting the Search

The water villas on Meedhapparu have them. A couple of their residents looked startled when we waved up at them from down below.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 235
9. Re: Honeymooners Starting the Search

and u were underneath a neighbours villa because......????????

Ahem

Bedford
reviews: 46
10. Re: Honeymooners Starting the Search

Just snorkelling around in a nosey kind of way. Doesn't everyone?