We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

water shoes

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clermont-Ferrand...
reviews: 12
water shoes

Hello there!

I would like to know if the water shoes are mandatory for a safe bath in Maldives:)

I mean if there are possible threats(like sea hedgehogs or any other dangerous fishes) without the corals which of course can make a lot of damage on your foots:)

thanks

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
reviews: 4
1. Re: water shoes

Hi

No they are not mandatory the biggest problem as you say is dead coral on the beach and in the lagoons which can be painful but this varies a lot between resorts

Regards

Doug

Clermont-Ferrand...
reviews: 12
2. Re: water shoes

i thought about it...

i ask this because when i was in turkey the guide told us to be careful in the water as there are a lot of sea hedgehogs who could give you a bad infection...and they were as it happened to one of my friends to step on one and it was not very nice for him hehe:)

so i guess i will be careful not to step on dead corals...about corals in water i won't step of course as i do not want to destroy them...

thanks

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 235
3. Re: water shoes

It's the bits of coral u can't see in a clear blue lagoon

I tend to always take them just in case and wear them anyway

London, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: water shoes

Yes we take them also,

There is the very well meaning, " water shoes police " on this forum, who appear to think that once one dons reef shoes, one looses ones mind and blindly feel it acceptable to stand on coral, so very glad the op pointed out that they would not stand on live coral, immediately. Saves the bun fights:))

I wear them as I am a coward, however when you have a child, it's really important that if they stand in the lagoon, they are protected from cuts, from broken coral that may be on the sea bed, or even whatever is buried beneath the sand. So we always take them and mostly wear them, as although we would not stand on coral, we may " walk" back through the latter part of the lagoon after snorkelling, and this is where the risk lies, with broken coral, or sea life that stings, which may be just under the sand.

United Kingdom
reviews: 22
5. Re: water shoes

We take ours

Saw a few stone fish at vilamendhoo

Darryl

London
reviews: 9
6. Re: water shoes

We always wear them, especially after seeing somebody having their holiday basically ruined after stepping on broken coral in shallow water at Lily Beach. It resulted in an infected foot and visits to hospital for the man. It was so bad that they wanted to go home but all flights were booked out and he was heading straight to hospital when he finally got home.

dorset
reviews: 46
7. Re: water shoes

We take them and wear them sometimes. You will have to gauge the situation when you get there. Probably best to take them with you anyway (they can sometimes be bought in resort but will be expensive).

By the way - I have not seen the sea hedgehogs (we call them Sea Urchins) that you find in the sea in Turkey in the Maldives at all.

8. Re: water shoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 26, 2014