We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reston, Virginia
reviews: 10
Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

Hello All,

We will be in Maldives for 2 days in March 2013. Yes, very short trip :-(. It also happens to be around our anniversary. So we are looking for a romantic resort with decent snorkeling and good food. We want to stay in a Watervilla. My wife is not the best swimmer, so would prefer a resort with calmer waters. Looking to spend about $500 - $900 a night.

We are debating between Maafushivaru and Kuamathi. Which would you guys recommend? or recommend any other resort that you guys think would be better.

Thank you!

London
reviews: 44
1. Re: Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

I've stayed at both.

The biggest difference is size. Maafushivaru is one of the smallest and Kuramathi is one of the biggest. In favour of small, some people like the diminutive, dollop of sand charm of a tiny island. In favour of large, some people prefer the greater variety of things on offer (eg. Kuramathi has 7 different bars...most of any resort).

I think the Kuramathi snorkeling might just be a little better especially for your wife. The most interesting snorkeling for both islands is quite a ways from shore and probably best for a confident swimmer. But Kuramathi has more close-to-shore coral croppings which will provide some fun snorkeling in a very easy and comfortably environment.

Kuramathi has a very romantic couples spa treatment. Both have similar food though Kuramathi will have more choice with its number of restaurants.

I loved both resorts and would happily return to either.

When you say 2 days, do you mean 2 days or two nights. If it is 2 days, you will really be tight for time. Both of these resorts have an approximately 2 hours transfer from Male (once you count clearing customs and checking into your seaplane or longish boat transfer for Kuramathi).

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 235
2. Re: Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

Been to both.

Tough choice.

Food and stuff to do much better at kuramathi

Ambiance, charm, and the sister desert of island at maafushivaru and the drop dead gorgeous beaches at maafushivaru shade it for me. We found the currents very strong at kuramathi in Jan ( being next to a channel)

But much much better jacuzzi water villas at kuramathi

Both wil be great and it's swings and roundabouts

Reston, Virginia
3. Re: Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

Thank you both for your detailed responses!

One more question for you two, what's the beach/water like in both the resorts?

Btw, Bruce, we are going for two nights.

London
reviews: 44
4. Re: Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

Maafushivaru has some of the plushest, softest white sand throughout the island that I have come across in the Maldives. They groom the beach a lot and it is like a big shag carpet of fluffy sand. Kuramathi was fine as I remember it, but Maafushivaru did stand out on that aspect.

Not sure what you mean by what the 'water' is like?

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

South Wales
reviews: 8
5. Re: Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

I too have been to both and I preferred Kuramathi. Yes it is bigger but it doesn't feel at all crowded. In fact our stretch of beach was always deserted . Maaf, being smaller seemed busier. The food was nicer ( more choices) and the standard of accommodation better.

Where Maaf won was it's sister island Lonobu. Divine! we used to visit most afternoons and often had it completely to ourselves. The snorkelling was amazing and just offshore.

Both islands are smashing and i doubt you would be disappointed whichever ŷou choose. However, I think you might be better off choosing an island that can be reached by speedboat to ensure you have the max amount of time on your island.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 235
6. Re: Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

Probably More usable beach at maafushivaru despite being muc much smaller; you can walk around the island on the beach whereas kuramathi had long stretches of no usable beach. As Bruce says , the sandat maafushivaru is by a long way the softest sand you will find. Water clarity excellent at both but stronger currents at kuramathi

Reston, Virginia
7. Re: Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

Thank you everyone! Sounds like Maaf has everything we are looking for.

france
reviews: 35
8. Re: Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

Maaf certainly does soud like it fits what you are looking for, but, I recommend taking note of post 1 from Maldives complete and take into account that you will probably have to wait for your transfer to the island, a two hour wait is not uncommon and your departure from the island for your return trip may be quite a few hours before your international flight. - Many people have to leave their island before lunchtime even tho there flight is not until say 19 00hrs.

It would be such a shame to have your short stay upset by seaplane timings.

I do not know which other resorts closer to male will suit you better for maximising times.......... perhaps someone can add their opinions?

what times are your international flights?

Edited: 8:26 am, January 09, 2013
Reston, Virginia
9. Re: Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

Our international flight leaves at 20:20. As you mentioned, it would be a waste to spend 8+ hours at Male airport, if the seaplane leaves the island around noon time.

france
reviews: 35
10. Re: Maafushivaru or Kuamathi?

You can request a late seaplane departure ie say 1600 but that cannot be guaranteed and usually the resort is not aware of the seaplane timings until the day before, the seaplanes often pick up and drop off at other islands.

If you were to choose an island with a speedboat transfer, request a late check out and use of the island facilities until closer to your international departure you would have a far better Maldivian experience........

As mentioned above I do not know much about islands in the male atoll, but am sure you must have a very decent selection to choose from within your budget........

come on peeps, bring forward other suggestions !!!

see also post 5 cjneath, with recommendations to stay closer to male......

Edited: 9:02 am, January 09, 2013