We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives experts? agency or not?

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Maldives experts? agency or not?

Once in a life time holiday for a young couple. and we are thinking of Maldives :) BUT we have a budget of around £3000-4000 per person?

Im just wondering would it be cheaper to book a package through an agency or do everything ourselves?

also any suggestions about resorts/hotels/etc greatly appreciated.

what we want:

white sand,lots of sun and heath, crystal clear water, nice affordable accommodation, not crowded, good spot for swimming, snorkelling.relaxing on the beach....

Thanks

Scotland
reviews: 16
1. Re: Maldives experts? agency or not?

I'm no expert but as you are in the UK I would go with an agency because the bottom line price you are quoted is the price you will pay which will include transfers etc. If you book separately you will have to remember to include seaplane/speed boat transfers.

I'll let someone else recommend a resort that's more qualified than me but you have a decent budget for starters.

PS: I have just read your other posts on the Thailand forum and apparently you are a young female travelling alone??

Edited: 3:27 am, March 18, 2012
staffordshire UK
reviews: 15
2. Re: Maldives experts? agency or not?

shop around, just had a £2000 price difference quote on the same trip from two agencies, same airline same hotel same dates....

france
reviews: 34
3. Re: Maldives experts? agency or not?

yes shop around I have found the same as espritguy, depending on when you go you have a nice budget so will have lots of choices, I suggest looking at the bigger travel agents on line - kuoni,hayes and jarvis etc to get an idea of price and to see what there is and what takes your fancy, then have a look at marks travel, purely maldives (richard from there is very helpful and is often giving advice on here),bluebay, there are others cannot think of names but am sure someone on here will let you know.

Ther is no such thing as a once in a lifetime holiday to the maldives!!!

enjoy your research!

cassie

Brighton, United...
4. Re: Maldives experts? agency or not?

Thanks for all your comments :)

Im going to Thailand on my own but I want to go to Maldives with my partner. Problem is he can only have 30 days off but mine is flexible so I thought Maldives are more romantic to go together? :)

Glad to hear the budget is ok! Maldives look expensive! lol

Oxford, United...
reviews: 22
5. Re: Maldives experts? agency or not?

Hi

Until a few years ago the general concensus - I think - was that it was cheaper to do everything yourselves. However, in more recent years the travel agents seem to offer the best deals. As others have suggested always shop around: a lot of "deal matching" goes on if you push.

OD

Brighton, United...
6. Re: Maldives experts? agency or not?

Great I will go through an agency then :)

Thank you so much for help

x

Dorset
reviews: 9
7. Re: Maldives experts? agency or not?

We've done direct and through the big travel companies. Packages do tend to be cheaper plus you have the reassurance if something goes wrong. Last couple of years though we have used Destinology who have proved very good.

Edited: 1:23 pm, March 18, 2012
Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
reviews: 2
8. Re: Maldives experts? agency or not?

Def agency. No cheaper to do it yourself plus you are more protected via agency package deal, eg ABTA etc. Especially if you are flying from UK

......AG

Brighton, United...
9. Re: Maldives experts? agency or not?

Thanks everyone

this is a very helpful forum :)

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 46
10. Re: Maldives experts? agency or not?

Hi

Do bear in mind though that prices between agents can vary, sometimes a lot, so once you decided where & when etc do get a couple of quotes.

Karla