We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When and where for Diving

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham
reviews: 11
When and where for Diving

We are looking to visit the maldives, predominantly for diving, but also relaxation.

When is the best time to go? My wife NEEDS to see Manta rays, whilst I'm turned on by all the pelagics, 'though whale sharks would be a bonus.

Whilst liveaboards are an option, we would prefer a shore based holiday, any comments or recommendations? North or South.

What about headline budget figures from UK? We don't need luxury ... just mantas

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 19
1. Re: When and where for Diving

we cannot recommend specific islands without a budget .

from a divers point of view - you most certainly want to stay in the ari atoll .

late jan through april you are certain to see mantas in the southern ari atoll .. april-ish is also the start of the whaleshark season in the southern ari atoll. of course you have to be very lucky to encounter a whaleshark.

i have never not seen the occasional manta throughout the year . you can get lucky and meet whaleshark roughly thrpugh november.

obviously, the rainy season is may through roughly early/mid december

Edited: 10:08 am, February 13, 2012
Airdrie Alberta...
reviews: 3
2. Re: When and where for Diving

Hello We will be staying at Vilamendhoo for 13 nights March6-19th We then go two weeks on the MS Orion dive boat Mar.9 to Apr. 2nd and then on to Reehti for 10 nights April 2 to 12th.Has anyone stayed in the Executive suite on the Orion and if so did the Air conditionong work in the room. I have heard that the Air Con. can sometimes be a problem. I notice that Vilamendhoo charges extra to go on a boat dive over the cost of a house reef dive. Is this the norm at most resorts. Is diving the house reefs worthwile compared to just snorkeling?

Edited: 3:41 pm, February 15, 2012
france
reviews: 34
3. Re: When and where for Diving

No one will answer your post whaack as most - especially me are extremely jealous of your mega long holiday, for that length of time most would not care if the aircon works !!!!

and yes most islands charge extra for the dive boat trips - so best to do the 2 tank dive mainly morning when it is only slighlty more expensive. Vilas reef gets a good reputation so it might keep you happy but you will have the possibility of some amazing dive sites.

wow what an amazing holiday you will have..............................

not jealous............

cassie

Durham
reviews: 11
4. Re: When and where for Diving

I'm with cassie! Green eyed and Jealous.

Whaack ... you just post your photos after the trip and the rest of us need not bother!

We're not going for a couple of years , which gives us plenty of time to plan and dream (and save).

Now thinking of economising on the hotel and adding a liveaboard to the itinery which should find anything we miss at the resort.

Had initially been drawn towards Olhuveli for 2 weeks, but Biyadoo with a liveaboard gives 3 weeks for the same sort of money.

Any comments anyone?

Thanks Spammie, that helps. Both our birthdays are in march, so that's the date sorted.

Budgets can be determined once I have some options.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
5. Re: When and where for Diving

Whaack, there is the thread on the Orion on FAQ Liveaboards. Why not PM someone who has been. As your question is specific to a cabin you may fare better by posting your own thread where you will pick up non divers.

David, same goes. A seperate thread will bring you more answers. Quite a number of island/liveaboard combos.

Me, I just sit on the liveaboard - hoping to manage 3 weeks next time :-)

Edited: 9:25 am, February 16, 2012
Airdrie Alberta...
6. Re: When and where for Diving

Thanks for your reply, our dream destination has always been the French Polynesia, but while on a liveaboard in the Red Sea a Russian couple said that they loved the Maldives. After doing the research it seems the diving, the islands, and the price were much more in reason compared to Bora Bora. Some of the posts lead us to believe that there may be minor problems with overbooking at resorts and faulty Air Conditioning on the Dive boats, but I am sure it will be a great holiday. Just over 2 weeks to go now.

Liverpool
reviews: 5
7. Re: When and where for Diving

Whaack - sounds like a brilliant itinerary!

Not sure if this will be an issue.... But just wondering how you'll get on with the visa situation as it looks like you'll be staying more than 30 days? Could be wrong but I thought that was the most you could stay on the tourist visa.

Ian

Edited: 3:05 pm, February 16, 2012
Airdrie Alberta...
8. Re: When and where for Diving

Yes we do have to apply for an extended visa once we arrive in Male, but it has all been pre-arranged so hopefully it will not be an issue.

Liverpool
reviews: 5
9. Re: When and where for Diving

Nothing else to be said, apart from have a great time!

Ian

10. Re: When and where for Diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, June 07, 2013