We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

Looking to take a trip to the Maldives during summer of 2013. Will be travelling with our kids (college age), so a family villa would be great (2 separate villas is an option we are considering as well). We don't really have a budget, but we would prefer to keep costs under $1200/night for the villa alone.

Basically, the most important thing for us is the house reef. It is the main reason we are visiting the Maldives, and outstanding snorkeling right from the villa is a must. Would prefer to see healthy and colorful coral, though quantity and variety of sealife is more important.

Mirihi is our top choice right now, but I'm open to any other recommendations since I read they might be closing for a refurb sometime next year. If there are any better house reefs for snorkeling, please let me know.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 19
1. Re: Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

mirihi will not be closing next year

mirihi and kandholhu are recognized as the two best resort housereefs in the maldives. in my humble opinion , mirihi has the edge over kandholhu.

Truro, United...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

If you fancy a hip and funky island you could look at W Maldives.

Lily Beach also comes to mind:)

france
reviews: 34
3. Re: Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

Athuruga has a very good/excellent reef as does its sister island thudufushi if mirihi is not open/fully booked when you plan to go.

Lily beach - family orientated certainly with more things for your kids to do when not snorkelling - I have not been but the reef is said to be just okay.

So as spammie suggests mirihi,kandholhu ,then athuruga, thudufushi.

the conrad as a hotel could also be looked at - I do not know what the reef is like - maybe someothers on here can advise.

Edited: 3:21 am, January 19, 2012
Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
reviews: 85
4. Re: Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

The house reef at Mirihi is simply amazing. I chose Mirihi for a trip last February, on Spammie's recommendation. It was an incredible experience. And as a bonus, the food is fantastic.

Kent, England
reviews: 44
5. Re: Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

I thought Mirihi was shutting for refurb next year after it was delayed from this year?

Someone tell me I'm wrong....PLEASE?!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 19
6. Re: Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

based on my info (source GM martin) - with all due respect jody ... you are wrong :D

england
reviews: 18
7. Re: Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

Also Robinson Club is meant to be pretty good - haven't been but it goes get excellent reviews all round including the reef.

Kent, England
reviews: 44
8. Re: Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

Spammie, with all due respect.......

You have absolutely no idea how happy I am to hear that ;-)

Vancouver, Canada
9. Re: Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are glad to hear that Mirihi will be open next year and that it has the best house reef.

Cairo, Al Qahirah...
10. Re: Looking for best house reef- budget not an issue

We are planning on going to Mirihi in June 2012 and our travel agent told us that there will be refurbishments during that time, what's the truth behind that if anyone could help?