We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer..help!!

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north carolina
reviews: 12
first timer..help!!

I have never traveled to anywhere thats even close to these beautiful islands.. any help would be appreciated. i am researching for October 2007! It will take forever to get here im sure.. but I wondered what kinds of things do I need to check out? Ive seen mention of luggage restrictions on sea planes? I assume you HAVE to take a sea plane from the main airport? Im mainly interested in snorkeling.. I dont really want to HAVE to go out in a boat to do this. Any suggestions on where to begin? Where to stay? Looking for moderate priced AI, want to snorkel and relax, anything else is just a bonus! ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED! But especially the little details only the experienced would know to ask about!! PLEASE HELP!

Dos cerveza, por...
reviews: 6
1. Re: first timer..help!!

You don't have to take a seaplane to get to your resort - it depends how far from the airport at Male that your resort is. The further away then a seaplane is necessary (1/2 hour flight is better than 8 hours or more on a boat). If you don't want a seaplane transfer then pick a resort closer to the airport. If you don't mind then the archipelago is your oyster!

Most if not all resorts have house reefs, some are close to the beach than others. The reefs which are further out from the resorts may mean taking a boat to snorkel is a necessity. I would base your research on these criteria based on your preferences. A good place to start would be:

http://www.visitmaldives.com/

As for a good AI resort, perhaps others on here can recommend?? One that was on my shortlist was White Sands - possibly worth checking out.

Manchester, Uk.
reviews: 3
2. Re: first timer..help!!

Hi,

I would suggest Meedhupparu for a first visit to the Maldives. That was our first island, and now we are hooked! It's medium in size, about 225 rooms, great food, AI option, great beaches, good accommodation, house reef a short swim out from the beachfront for good snorkelling, nice and relaxing etc. There are lots of reviews on here.

I would personally recommend taking a seaplnae transfer if you can, it's a fantastic way to see the islands. I believe seaplane luggage allowance has just been lifted to 25kg. Dont panic about needing more luggage allowance than that - you dont need any footwesr apart from a pair of sandals and maybe some reef shoes, dress code is casual, so no need to pack loads of dress options, and there is a laundry service, so you can get your clothes cleaned part way through your holiday.

Hope this helps a little!

regards, Lisa.

north carolina
reviews: 12
3. Re: first timer..help!!

thank you so much for the information, it is soooo helpful to have people that at least have a clue what they are doing! ha! I cant wait to go! I would leave tonight if I could!

Montgomery, Wales
4. Re: first timer..help!!

Hello catchickgata,

Good advice from the previous posts, but I would say that Meeddhupparu is a relatively large island, and if you really want to experience the festally disappearing Maldivian island epexerience, then do consider Veligandu, Thudafushi or Komando.

Good Luck!!

Tiggy.

Montgomery, Wales
5. Re: first timer..help!!

Hello catchickgata,

Good advice from the previous posts, but I would say that Meeddhupparu is a relatively large island, and if you really want to experience the festally disappearing Maldivian island epexerience, then do consider Veligandu, Thudafushi or Komando.

Good Luck!!

Tiggy.

Montgomery, Wales
6. Re: first timer..help!!

spell check:

fastly

experience

Tiggy!!

leicester uk
reviews: 17
7. Re: first timer..help!!

i would also say meedhupparu the island is wonderfull.you can have a sea plane transfer which takes about 40mins from male.The snorkelling on the island is great.so is the food.I F YOU Leave me your email adress i will sent you some pics.we are going back to the island for the 3 time in oct this year.