We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on deciding which island

Which Maldives hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 22
Help on deciding which island

Hi

I have wanted to go to the Maldives for a long time and have finally got my husband to agree to look at going - just come back from Skiathos, which was wonderful, but it was soooo busy that it spoilt it a bit (we can only holiday at this time of year) and it was quite expensive to eat and drink (more so than other Greek islands we have been to) and we spent quite a bit more than expected really. Hence stating that if we went to the Maldives on "all inclusive" basis it would work out cheaper!!!!!!! (Good exvuse to get him to look at them, he thinks he might be bored you see). We love the Greek islands but they all get sooo busy at this time.

Therefore could anyone please give any help for us choosing which island would be best suited to us. He likes to walk a bit, I am quite happy to lie in the sun, we dont dive, although I may be able to convince him to try it. We have been snorkelling in Mexico, which was brilliant and I felt so brave doing it (the, now grown up, kids couldnt believe their eyes when they saw a pic of me doing it!!!). We also like good food and drink and some of the comments on the "all inclusive" resorts put me off a bit, stating that it is "extra for this and that"! We like it quiet and peaceful, preferably with no kiddies around (nothing against our little people but we have had years of kiddie clubs and now want peace and quiet). Any help or advice would be very gratefull received as I am becomming more and more confused the more I read about these islands.

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
reviews: 2
1. Re: Help on deciding which island

I can't see the Maldives even AI would be cheaper than going to Greece unfortunately unless you are bigger drinkers. But don't tell your husband that!

Komandoo has a no children under 12 policy since January this year an this would suit you. However, if he likes walking then the Maldives isn't the place to be as the non-kids islands tends to be small and the only option your hubby would have would be to walk the island quite a few times. The larger islands would have more kids. However, Komandoo is a nice island and the snorkelling there is great, much better than Mexico!! Has to be seen to be believed if you have not been to the Maldives before. Komandoo also involves a 45 min seaplane ride and is one of the highlights of the trip.

So you will have to forsake something if you really wanted to go to the Maldives. The hubby perhaps? (only joking!)

.............activegirl

Lincoln, United...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Help on deciding which island

Hi

Sun Island is a big island great for walking round and through.

There were a few children there but in all honesty they were mainly round the pool area and were very well behaved.

I am like you prefer to go where there are not too many children.

Hubby dives and when he was diving i would sit outside my room and not see anybody literally for hours on end, and when i did it was the odd couple just walking past.

I too thought that i would be bored out of my mind, but on the contrary have never enjoyed a holiday anywhere near as much. three days after returning booked the maldives again for next year and now am completely addicted.

You do have to pay extra to eat at the other restaurants, but the main ai restaurant would def satisfy you, the food was far better than what we had hoped, lots of variety and very nicely cooked and displayed.

The walk around the island and through it is absolutely beautiful, the flora is magnificent and of course the beautiful beaches and sea. The whole island is kept immaculate.

We went during Apr when it was full to capacity and prob at most saw about 7 or 8 children in the whole time we were there.

Snorkelling is fantastic and you will probably find it difficult to stay out of the sea, which by the way is unbelievably warm.

If you want to ask anything else just email or post on here and i will be happy to answer.

reviews: 22
3. Re: Help on deciding which island

Thanks for your replies. Skiathos cost us around £1700 -1800 for 2 weeks bed and breakfast (we like good hotels to stay in) and then around £1400 spending money (at least) - this would be about the same or a little less than 2 weeks all inclusive in the Maldives. Plus I wouldnt need so many shoes!!!!!!!

When I say my other half likes to walk (its what he always says) he will walk to one end of the beach and back - so I think a walk around the island each day would do him, as long as he has somewhere to wander for a while with his camcorder he would be happy I think.

I know it sounds like a petty question but after suffering for 2 weeks with blisters on my feet it would be heaven to be able walk around for 2 whole weeks with no shoes on - is it possible to do this on Sun Island? Also if staying on there which room type would you suggest?

I have also been looking at Vilamendhoo, Holiday Island and Kerudu but some of the write ups put me off a bit. I suppose I am expecting everywhere to be perfect but I like to do my homework before we book a holiday and Tripadvisor has become my bible when planning a holiday so anyone giving as much information as possible would be a great help.

Lincoln, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Help on deciding which island

Hi jackieboo

You would be able to walk around the island on the beach without any shoes, but to walk to your room and dinner etc you would need a pair of flip flops as there are paths.

The paths do not in any way spoil the beauty of the island, as the flora etc surrounding them is so beautiful and the smell in the evening as you walk past them is gorgeous, can almost smell it now lol.

If your hubby likes his camcorder then it will almost always be out, there is so much beauty to film.

We walked around the island many times, with a few stops at the bars on the way round to quench our thirst, it always took us ages because my hubby always wanted to film or take a picture of something.

Glenys

5. Re: Help on deciding which island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, September 07, 2009