We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
buenos aires...
reviews: 85
Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

I read that there is (or was? or will be?) a bus that goes between Vientiane and Bangkok. I could not find any info about fares or schedules. After looking at airfares and air schedules, a bus ride, regardless of the lenghth of time, might be the best way to go.

Does anyone know about this service and or a website?

9 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 20
1. Re: Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

Why not take the overnight train? It departs Nong Khai, Thailand (just across the border from Vientiane) at around 6:30pm, you arrive in Bangkok in the morning. 2nd Class AC Sleeper train is clean and comfortable.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
reviews: 40
2. Re: Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

A bus from BKK to Vientiane will leave at 8.00pm and take around 11 hours and the cost was 900BHT during 2012. Tourists adviced to have their Lao visa earlier. Check it out;

travelfish.org/board/post/cambodia/23166_vip…

I think if you do the over night train will be much better as you can have your own bed and walk around.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
reviews: 225
3. Re: Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

The last time I took a night bus from Vientiane to Bangkok, it was actually a clapped out old wreck which took you Vientiane to nongkhai, where you boarded the nicer sleeper bus. The sleeper train is much more comfortable for about the same fare.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
reviews: 225
4. Re: Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

The last time I took a night bus from Vientiane to Bangkok, it was actually a clapped out old wreck which took you Vientiane to nongkhai, where you boarded the nicer sleeper bus. The sleeper train is much more comfortable for about the same fare.

Wanaka, New Zealand
reviews: 12
5. Re: Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

Take the train. It's not that expensive and you'll get a decent night's sleep.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Cologne
reviews: 22
6. Re: Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

I also would suggest taking the train. It is the same price, but much more comfortable. At least you have toilets available, and can stretch your legs. And the beds at the rain a actually very comfortable.

For more information check out the following website, which is a great resource for anything train related:

seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Bangkok_to_Nong_Khai

Winkelhaid
reviews: 147
7. Re: Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

Taking a bus from Vientiane to Bkk is not a good suggestion. Also a Train takes toolLong and is not so comfortable.

The best and inexpensive way is to book online a ticket with AirAsia from Udon Thani to Bkk. Vientiane is direcltly on the border with Thailand only the friendship bridge over the Mekong is connecting both countires. Udon Thani is the closest Thai Airport to Vientiane and only about 45 km = 3/4 hour away. Taxi or bus not so expensive. Air Ticket Udon Thani to BKK by AirAsia with 20 kg luggauge and Promotion fare about € 28 - 29.

Easy Menue of AirAsia and everyone can book with payment by cc.

Ho Chi Minh City...
reviews: 8
8. Re: Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

No direct Bus to Bangkok

Only to Nong Khai--Udon Thani--Khon Kaen and Khorate

Air Asia is about $30 from Udon Than

Trains are not for me as it is a single track system.

One fault with any train on the line means all trains are delayed could be for hours

Islamabad
reviews: 51
9. Re: Vientiane to bangkok by bus?

As I avoid travelling at night, I took a bus to Udon Thani from morning market in Vientiane in the morning and purchased a bus ticket to BKK from there. I reached BKK at 1900 hrs the same day. It was a pleasant trip and I enjoyed the landscape all along the way

Reply to: Vientiane to bangkok by bus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted