We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day tour of vientiane

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
essex, uk
reviews: 2
day tour of vientiane

has anyone had a good experience with a particular tour operator. please? Small group or private preferred.

I am sure there will be plenty of agents dotted around or my hotel will be able to arrange a day tour, but I always prefer personal recommendations

Vientiane
reviews: 57
1. Re: day tour of vientiane

Just get a tuk tuk and bargain with him/her. You do not need a tour operator for a day tour of Vientiane.

essex, uk
2. Re: day tour of vientiane

am I likely to find a tuk tuk driver who speaks good English and doubles up as a guide?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 125
3. Re: day tour of vientiane

Hi,

The tuk-tuk drivers we met seemed to speak pretty good English. But I would say you don't need a guide per se. Just figure out what you want to see and go. Many temples etc can be walked to and it's great just to walk around town to get a good sense of the place. I've posted some info with photos on my blog of our time in Vientiane:

…blogspot.com.au/2011/10/laos-part-7-vientia…

Hope this helps,

- K

Vientiane
reviews: 57
4. Re: day tour of vientiane

Why do you need someone to speak English? Download a pdf guide from Travelfish, decide what you would like to see and negotiate the pirce with a tuk tuk driver. If you are not sure what sights are worth seeing, ask on this site.

Oraison, France
reviews: 50
5. Re: day tour of vientiane

hi

could you tell me what could be the average price (correct and fair for the tuk tuk driver and for myself) hiring the tuk tuk for one day around vientiane (or elsewhere LP, VV PAKSE etc )....

I have no idea at all and I know that we will have often to bargain ...

thank you

essex, uk
6. Re: day tour of vientiane

my husband has mobility problems so walking around too far is not an option.

we always like to kick off any visit to a new city by taking a guided tour , not only to orient ourselves but,by having a guide you also get a good insight to the place. There are always places of interest tucked away not always mentioned in our guidebook.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
reviews: 225
7. Re: day tour of vientiane

The prices can vary wildly with tuktuks as there are so many sharks around, especially around the river area. I asked one guy at the river for a full day hire a couple of years ago for my visiting parents and he quoted $80! - about 6 weeks salary for a rural teacher.

You should be able to get a tuktuk for the best part of a day (8hrs) within the main city limits for $30. This is easy money for the driver and reasonable for you too. Ask a Lao person to do the asking - maybe the receptionist from your guesthouse.

A yellow taxi would be another alternative - they ask 1500baht for the main sights of vientiane - so USD50 or 400,000kip.

Edited: 7:36 am, October 31, 2012
Kawit, Philippines
8. Re: day tour of vientiane

I'm planning to go to Vientiane after arriving from the Thanaleng train station. I don't know vientiane and want to have a full day or halfday sightseeing before going back to bangkok. Is taxi a good option or a tuktuk? How much do they normally ask for a day tour using tuktuk or taxi? does the tuktuk or taxi driver accepts thai baht? I hope someone can help. I will be going to vientiane alone and I hope to get a great experience for this upcoming tour.

essex, uk
9. Re: day tour of vientiane

the tuk tuk drivers down by Salana Boutique hotel, walking away from the river , have laminated cards with fixed prices for each attraction. They seem to be a kind of cooperative as all the dirivers show the same card .

Vientiane, Laos
reviews: 17
10. Re: day tour of vientiane

Get yourself a copy of hobomaps Vientiane and have a little study of it to find the places around the town that are of interest to you.

You mention the words "Tour of Vientiane" so Im presuming your holidaying in South East Asia as a tourist, which would indeed be why you asked if the tukky drivers speak English. I dont think Ive yet to meet a tourist who travels to Vientiane and speaks fluent Laos so I understand your concern that an English speaking guide would make your experience a lot more enjoyable and accentuate the ambience.

Tukky drivers who tend to concentrate on the day trip side of the business will more often than not tend to have a good handle on English.

As one previous poster mentioned, try to find a driver that has his places displayed, and then check with another couple of drivers too so as to ensure your getting a good deal.

As for asking reception to book, that may or may not be a safe bet. Some hotels work hand in hand with the guides and drivers and obviously their added commission will bump up the total fee.

A wiser option would be to enquire at your reception their opinion on where to find a good trustworthy guide/driver.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Choppa.