We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vientiane,laos

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
reviews: 8
vientiane,laos

can i catch a train from vientiane to luang prabang

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 43
1. Re: vientiane,laos

no sir, I believe the only train in all of Laos is the short-haul one crossing the bridge to Thailand

Bristol, United...
reviews: 8
2. Re: vientiane,laos

ok thank you muchly,will bus it

Vientiane
reviews: 61
3. Re: vientiane,laos

There are no trains in Lao, except to Thanaleng - 23km outside of Vientiane.

Vientiane, Laos
4. Re: vientiane,laos

I beg to differ! There's a train in southern Laos as well!

spotonlaos.com/place/…

:)

Surfers Paradise...
reviews: 57
5. Re: vientiane,laos

Wanting to visit Laos in conjunction with Mayanmar. Has anyone visited Laos recently and if so do you have a suggested itinerary? Many thanks, Marilyn

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
reviews: 78
6. Re: vientiane,laos

without knowing how long, when, budget, must see etc it's impossible to really answer this.

work your way through any relevant 'top questions' (upper right) and the 'things to do' list (upper lift) - for the country as a whole and for each city/town forum.

Use the search box (directly above your post) look for trip reports (sometimes called JBRs - just back reports) and you'll get heaps of ideas.

when you have something like a draft itinerary, post it here and lots of people will offer suggestions, but to simply ask 'suggest me an itinerary' really won't get you too far at all .. folk here are voluteers not travel agents and will happily help those who do some basic research to fine tune things but usually draw the line at preparing a whole itinerary.

cheers

helen

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
reviews: 232
7. Re: vientiane,laos

Do a search on the forum - there are dozes of threads discussing all kinds of itineraries

Edited: 2:27 am, August 28, 2012
Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 53
8. Re: vientiane,laos

Traveling to Laos August 2013 with young child. Is it best to fly between Vientiane and Luang Prabang? Best place to experience the elephants?

Thanks. Any info is appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 14
9. Re: vientiane,laos

Perhaps consider flying with a child, as the bus ride is around 10 hours in total along windy and some short parts of gravel roads. You can take a sleeper bus also I believe, but fly if you can afford to.

In Luang Prabang there are many options for elephant riding/mahout training etc. We did the mahout training 1 day, and found that (although it was a great experience with the elephant, bareback riding and playing in the river with the elephant) the tour organisers were not so organised. We went with a small office near the river who seemed friendly but were not recommendable. If I did it again, I would look into the actual elephant village tours, which you'll find info for on the main tourist street. Otherwise, Green Discovery have proved to be a good tour company which would probably offer a great experience, office also on the main street.

Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 53
10. Re: vientiane,laos

Thank you for your response. Very helpful. Looking forward to it.