We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car with private driver to Luang Prabang

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Landau in der...
reviews: 123
Car with private driver to Luang Prabang

In early November we would like to go by car with a private driver in 2 days from Vientiane to Luang Prabang with an overnight stop in Vang Vieng. I would be very happy if somebody could answer my following questions:

1) Where can we get a driver? Do we have to book one at a travel agency or can we book one that is e.g. recommended by hotel or restaurant staff?

2) What are the approximately costs?

Thanks, Andrea

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 67
21. Re: Car with private driver to Luang Prabang

$250 is expensive but the road is very slow and winding especially from Van Vieng.Its not like Aussie distance.

I have done it various ways. Here is another thought for you and the way I would also do it in future. the VIP bus from Vientianne to Van Vieng is comfortable and the road is fairly straight for most of this section. Make sure you buy your ticket beforehand to ensure a seat, (day before from agency is fine) Not heaps to stop for on the way anyway on this bit. The bus does stop for lunch. Then I hire from Van Vieng to Luang Prabang which is the more winding, scenic and photogenic section. This also allows you to stop for 2 or 3 days in Van Vieng which is a terrific pace with lots to do in the area. This way you aren't paying for a driver's accomodation etc.

On our last trip we found others to share the cost of minivan and driver and it was our own little private trip. We stopped whenever for photos, had people to chat to and had a great trip. We organised the car or van in Van Vieng when we got there. You can negotiate price. You can put up a board to get others or pay yourself. I think we paid $100 for 2 of us in car but that was off season. Can't remember the minivan in peak season but split up it was not exi.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 67
22. Re: Car with private driver to Luang Prabang

$250 is expensive but the road is very slow and winding especially from Van Vieng.Its not like Aussie distance.

I have done it various ways. Here is another thought for you and the way I would also do it in future. the VIP bus from Vientianne to Van Vieng is comfortable and the road is fairly straight for most of this section. Make sure you buy your ticket beforehand to ensure a seat, (day before from agency is fine) Bus is about $17 Not heaps to stop for on the way anyway on this bit. The bus does stop for lunch. Then I hire from Van Vieng to Luang Prabang which is the more winding, scenic and photogenic section. This also allows you to stop for 2 or 3 days in Van Vieng which is a terrific pace with lots to do in the area. This way you aren't paying for a driver's accomodation etc.

On our last trip we found others to share the cost of minivan and driver and it was our own little private trip. We stopped whenever for photos, had people to chat to and had a great trip. We organised the car or van in Van Vieng when we got there. You can negotiate price. You can put up a board to get others or pay yourself. I think we paid $100 for 2 of us in car but that was off season. Can't remember the minivan in peak season but split up it was not exi.

Edited: 8:17 am, June 20, 2011
Vientiane, Laos
23. Re: Car with private driver to Luang Prabang

why not try to get more information from Europcar, maybe you will get something for your plan, and of cause driver is english speaking, get to know them at www.avrlaos.com. Mr.Joe

24. Re: Car with private driver to Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, October 30, 2012