We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local stuff

Which Vientiane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sandnrays@gmail.com
Local stuff

Me & d Mrs will b in Vientiane on june 13 & leaving on 16th. We`re interested in local food, way of life n "off the beaten path" sights. Any suggestions from anyone?

Vientiane
reviews: 57
1. Re: Local stuff

This is a very broad ask by you. What do you mean by "way of life"?

A few places worth eating at:

Kua Laos for high quality Laos food. Tamnak Laos is not bad, though not as good as the formerly mentioned.

Chez Philipe, a newly opened French restaurant with really excellent food, on the floor above the Phimphone mini mart opposite Kob Jai Der.

Apart from the usual suspects like the Morning Market, the Hmong market and the new Chinese market, Buddha Park is worth a visit, as are a number of the Wats. Tad Laung, the Kaysone Phomivane museum, the National Museum, etc etc.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
reviews: 224
2. Re: Local stuff

The best place for local food (Lao food as opposed to imported thai/chinese/french etc) is the Lao food night market near Heng Boun Road, about 10 minutes walk from the central Nam Phou fountain. There are about 20 stalls selling a wide variety of Lao staples - sticky rice, bamboo soup, fried/boiled/BBq chicken, fried/steamed river fish stuffed with lemongrass, many types of jao (usually spicy dip for rice)and a variety of greens. It is cheap and is very popular with lao families between 6-8pm.

There's not much off the beaten track around Vientiane - but most visitors stay around the river - so if you get bikes and look around the other 95% of the town north of patuxai monument you will find some more "local" noodle shops, BBQ shops and beer bars.

sandnrays@gmail.com
3. Re: Local stuff

Thanks for the info., much appreciated. Sorry to have sounded vague, I meant I would like to see n learn about the local average laotian people- their way of life, what is the children and adults favourite pass times, local festivals etc.

Since Asean Games will be held in Vientiane in Dec., how are preparations coming along?

sandnrays@gmail.com
4. Re: Local stuff

Yup, many thanks, dats the local, local food thats interesting. We shall certainly venture around. I suppose cars are driven on the left-side of the road? When cycling around, do cars n bike give way to you as cyclists?

Is it acceptable give sweets & writing materials to children that you might meet?

Whats the weather currently like?

Vientiane
5. Re: Local stuff

"When cycling around, do cars n bike give way to you as cyclists?"

Is that a serious question? This is Laos, the rule of the road is the biggest wins. We drive on the right, of course, having been a French colony.

Vientiane
6. Re: Local stuff

By the way, Kua Laos DOES serve local food. It is just good quality, and not just from Vienatiane, but from Laos as a whole. I think it might be hard to get

or lam at the night market, lol.

East Midlands
reviews: 5
7. Re: Local stuff

I'm not a local but I did live in Laos in the mid-nineties and I think it's probably still true to say it isn't a good idea to give Lao children sweets. Dental care was non-existent when I was there, and many Lao parents didn't really understand how harmful it was for your child to have a mouth full of rotten teeth. Some of the children I knew ate loads of sweets and had terrible teeth that gave them pain.

sandnrays@gmail.com
8. Re: Local stuff

Thanks for the reminder! Besides a mouthful of rotting teeth, they may have adverse reactions to some of the ingredients. I recall reading a report of the UNDP where milk biscuits were given to children and they all had diarrhoea. They were not used to milk in the biscuit! Yup, got to be mindful of that.

sandnrays@gmail.com
9. Re: Local stuff

Ah...., so the biggest n meanest machines on the roads rule, something like in Thailand! Ok, will remember that. But in China, if you knock a cyclist, you`re in deep trouble.

Ok, thanks, will keep Kau Laos in mind. Oh, any poor comments/feedbacks heard about the Aroon Residence Hotel?

10. Re: Local stuff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, December 03, 2009