We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luang Prabang via Hanoi

Which Laos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 3
Luang Prabang via Hanoi

I have booked with Singapore Airlines a flight to Hanoi with a connection to Luang Prabang with Laos Airlines later that day. I assume that I will need to collect my luggage at the airport and then book in with Laos Airlines. My question is can I do this without having to go through immigration or will I need a visa to cover the collection of luggage and subsequent new flight book in.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 22
1. Re: Luang Prabang via Hanoi

Earlier this month, I flew to Hanoi via Tiger then to Luang Prabang via Lao Airline.

And yes, I did pass immigration. The passing of immigration on arrival and Collection of Luggage was smooth for me. I am travelling on visa exempted passport and I did not notice any queues at visa counter.

I am assuming that you have booked the air tickets for 2 airlines separately.

My understanding is, so long you need to pass immigration (i.e. no transiting flights), you'll need a Visa if you are not holding any visa exempt passport.

So, make sure you have plan for sufficient overlay time.

Pennsylvania, USA
reviews: 30
2. Re: Luang Prabang via Hanoi

As Cxy says, you will need a visa. Although Vietnam has Visa on Arrival it's really misnamed. You must apply for the visa before you arrive and then on arrival take the visa approval letter to the visa on arrival booth before going through immigration. There are plenty of web travel agents that will take are of the visa. If you are going back the same way make sure to get a multiple entry visa.

Edited: 6:15 pm, November 25, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
3. Re: Luang Prabang via Hanoi

Thanks for the replies. Should have gone via Bangkok in hindsight.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 22
4. Re: Luang Prabang via Hanoi

If there's any consolation, duration of flight from Hanoi to Luang Prabang is shorter and cheaper than from Bangkok.

That's why I picked Hanoi over Bangkok although it is a boring airport.

Enjoy your trip :D

Adelaide, Australia
5. Re: Luang Prabang via Hanoi

Am currently sitting in Hanoi Airport waiting for the plane to Luang Prabang. I did not need a visa in the end. I showed my Laos Airlines e-ticket confirmation at a ticket area before immigration after arrival from Singapore. I was then issued with boarding passes for my next flight. The person also issued me with baggage receipts after he collected the cases and arranged for them to be put on our next flight. All quite easy really and with a saving of $90USD on the visas.

If you have a 5 hour wait like we do, recommend the Business lounge upstairs for #30USD each.

6. Re: Luang Prabang via Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 15, 2014