We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to go

Which Laos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brundish
reviews: 4
Best time to go

Ok almost made my mind up looks like Laos has won but the point is when is best to go and where. We normally go in end jan Feb for 3 weeks so hopefully this will be a good time.

We like to relax in the evening by having a few beers and a meal and possibly some night life. We also like to look around but the places seem quite a way apart so is it best to have 2 destinations.

Heres hoping for soem advice

Santa Cruz, Cal
reviews: 9
1. Re: Best time to go

end of january cooler temps and dry weather slowly heating up in february march- may getting hotter and triggering thunderstorms as it heats up

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
reviews: 76
2. Re: Best time to go

Nov.~Feb. best time to go, cooler and little rainfall, if any...

Luang Prabang, Laos
reviews: 1
3. Re: Best time to go

Weatherwise, end of January is a great time to visit. In Luang Prabang, the morning mist burns off by 10 and it warms up nicely. 3 weeks are enough time to travel the length of the country.

Major destinations south to north:

Don Det/Khon, Siphan Don or 4,000 islands

Vat Phu Champasak

the Bolaven Plateau Tad Fane and other nearby falls (also coffee growing plantations near Paksong), Tad Lo, and further afield Attapeu,

Savanakhet

Thakek and nearby Nakai

Konglor Cave

Vientiane

Vang Vieng

Phonsavan/Plain of Jars

Luang Prabang

Nong Khiaw/Moung Ngoi

Luang Namtha

Muang Sing/Long

Vieng Poukha

Huay Xai--mainly border crossing to northern Thailand/Chiang Khong

Brundish
4. Re: Best time to go

Thanks guys, looking forward to it, what about places to stay, been to Malaysia Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam is it pretty simular to these places or tottaly different, and what about life at night are there resturants and bars to relax at

Vientiane
reviews: 57
5. Re: Best time to go

November through to Feb is the cooler season. Feb in Luang Prabang can get quite hazy due to the burn offs. Vientiane was fine this year.

Regarding places to eat - I suggest you do a search of older posts. I have posted many recommendations in the past as tMoore. Nearly all of the places recommended are still around.

Brundish
6. Re: Best time to go

Hi Ruf, what do you mean by Vientiane was fine this year does the weather change that much, and also what do you mean quite hazy in Luang Prabang does that means it gets cold as well there that time of year

As I said we got caught out last year in Vietnam where it was bloody freezing for the first week so we dont want that to happen again

Vientiane
reviews: 57
7. Re: Best time to go

What I am referring to is the haze from the burn offs. It was not noticeable in Vientiane in Feb, however it was noticeable in Luang Prabang.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
reviews: 76
8. Re: Best time to go

Lunag Prabang will be pretty hot in the daytime and cool off a bit at night, you may or may not need long sleeves, but I'd bring a light fleece jacket just in case. In both Vientiane & Luang Prabang, it never gets that cold at all. If you are heading up into the mountains, or Phonsavan or the Bolaven Plateau, you can expect pretty darn cold weather!

Edited: 2:46 am, June 29, 2012
Brundish
9. Re: Best time to go

we will probably split our time between both places 1 week at one and two weeks at the other should be enough to see, just don't know which way around to do it

bangkok
reviews: 22
10. Re: Best time to go

We spent April in Laos - and it was extremely hot, with very little rainfall to bring respite. January should be a perfect time to go.

The haze of the burnoffs in April - especially in the north of the country - was pretty bad. most days the sky was smoky and overcast from it.

If you are feeling adventurous, the Thakhek Loop (a four day motorbike trip through central Laos) was the highlight of our 5 weeks in Laos. You get to visit the amazing Kong Lor cave. Here is a post and video of it: ashaandryan.com/2012/…

In regards to restaurants and places to relax and have a drink - Luang Prabang would be your number one, and Vientiane would probably be the second best for this. I wouldn't spend too much time in Vientiane though, its not much of a travel destination. Luang Prabang is fantastic - beautiful setting overlooking the Mekong and Ou rivers, fantastic buildings, plenty of god places to eat and drink, and a truly remarkable feel to the place. Also there are plenty of day-trips you can do using LP as a base - kayaking, visiting the Kuang Se waterfalls is a must (www.ashaandryan.com/2012/04/luang-prabung/), elephant riding etc.