We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage ????

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
738 posts
1 review
Luggage ????

Hello,

One of our luggage was broken during the fly from Bangkok to Phnom Penh and the airline told me they are not responsible for it. So is the person to handle luggage at the airport .

We are currently in PP . Please advise where can we shop for a carry on luggage . Also, should I haggle the price down . If so how many percent down from the asking price. Thank you

lewes uk
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
154 reviews
1. Re: Luggage ????

Hi,

Either the Russian market or Central market/mall will have plenty of luggage. You can haggle in the markets.

Cheers

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: Luggage ????

I think my friends paid around US $25 each for quite large, very nice suitcases at Psar Tuol Tom Pong (aka "The Russian Market") in December last year. I always shop at this place and they were happy to bargain with me. I do not "haggle" when negotiating (look up the word).

siem reap
Level Contributor
417 posts
3. Re: Luggage ????

can fully understand why the airline and handlers are not responsible ,just thinking about all the Luggage passing through the airports on a daily bases in all types of conditions and age:)

but its quite normal practice for a seller to start the asking price high as they will exspect you to come back at a lower price,in the markets a tourist may be quoted a price that is 100% higher than the exspected or acceptance price..

a few tips to remember is smile and dont be afraid to counter offer at a half price to the first offer from the seller:)

be careful about asking for a price if just wondering and not serious about buying,as a seller will think you are a serious buyer and will consider it bad luck if you than dont buy,if you are going in the early morning be aware that a seller will think its bad luck if you are there first customer and they accept a poor price or dont buy as they think there whole day will be unlucky..enjoy and smile

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Luggage ????

When I arrive in a new country I am always wary about how to go about the bargaining as I feel that once I start the negotiations I will feel obliged to buy so it was interesting to read that comment about the seller feeling obliged to make a deal with you.

What I often do is to start off with something small/ cheap and get the feel for how the bargaining works in any given country before I step up and start the bargaining for larger priced items.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: Luggage ????

#2,

I think you're getting confused with "barter"

Cheers

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: Luggage ????

No, look up the word "haggle". Barter means to trade goods for other goods. Haggle means to bargain arguablly/forcefully. Exactly how NOT to negotiate in Southeast Asia.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: Luggage ????

Kameka-

It is always good to know how much the items sell for wholesale in your country, and go from there. You can get things half of western wholesale prices if you are good at bargaining. Buying quantity is necessary in order to get the best deals. If you're buying one or two of the same items you can expect to do moderate bargaining but you won't be gettign a super deal (it wil stil be inexpensive though!). If you really don't care and just want to have the item no matter the cost, it doesn't really matter. Some people just don't want to hassle with it, and buy their souvenirs at the first price quoted. I buy all my goods wholesale (usually in quantity) at the markets and get really good prices.

Edited: 8:15 am, June 13, 2013
lewes uk
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
154 reviews
8. Re: Luggage ????

Pretty semantic difference considering common usage I'd say.

Cheers

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,399 posts
91 reviews
9. Re: Luggage ????

They are totally different verbs and shouldn't be used incorrectly.

Cheers

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
15,213 posts
79 reviews
10. Re: Luggage ????

have to agree with Maneki - re the difference between bartering & haggling -