We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tailor made shirts

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roma
reviews: 26
Tailor made shirts

Any good recommendation for tailor made shirts in Phmom Penh? Any specific shop or area where I should go?

How is usually the quality of the materials, the prices for a very good shirt and the time to get it done?

56 replies to this topic
Paris, France
reviews: 243
21. Re: Tailor made shirts

DELIGHTED to hear. In Bangkok the same shirt would cost $35 (minimum).

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 18
22. Re: Tailor made shirts

Hi,

I am visiting Cambodia for 10 days in dec. I am keen to make a few pair of shirts, pants and maybe even suits. Mr Cung does interest me although communication might be a problem. Any advice on how to communicate when I am there?

Paris, France
23. Re: Tailor made shirts

Mr Cung made my husband a suit years ago. He still raves about the quality of tailoring and fit. If you speak FRENCH, Mr Cung is a french speaking Khmer. But he is a tailor first and foremost so I think language less a barrier. He will need all of the days you have to tailor as much as you are thinking about. I can recommend Angkor Independent tailor as well, for men's shirts to spread the work around. In general, I find Angkor's work just "OK". Shirts have always been good however. For women's apparel, they aren't the best.

I also hire an english speaking tuk tuk driver, who can translate into Khmer for Mr Cung. But he and I speak French.

Sydney
24. Re: Tailor made shirts

I have just had two more shirts made to measure by Mr. Cung from Italian cotton and as always before, I am very happy with them. But Mr. Cung is so busy these days that he can not and will not undertake rushed orders.

Arrived Battambang by bus from Kg. Chhnang late yesterday afternoon and now staying put for several days and hope to catch up with emails and TA PM's as best I can. No more TA PM's please until end of November as PM's are time consuming on slow Internet connections unlike emails.

Best regards. Ian

Camp Battambang @ Seng Hout Hotel

Light Rain all night and currently 08:30 am

Paris, France
25. Re: Tailor made shirts

I come from Bangkok and asked my tuk tuk driver to reserve time with Mr Cung 6 weeks in advance. Then I asked the driver to go back one week and then 2 days before my arrival to remind him. Plus I stayed 3 days to monitor progress. His prices have gone up considerably, even so, they are still well below any prices in Thailand and the work frequently better.

Supply and demand is basic economics and Mr Cung now has plenty but plenty of demand (hard earned, well deserved). He is also the only tailor I know in Phnom Penh who stays open every holiday. He works early morning to late night, also unlike competitor tailors. He has built his business on hard hard work, expertise and fair prices. I also timed the visit with Khmer holiday so his local clients were on holiday.

He has always been pressed to get work done, over the 12 years I've known him. But now word is out! It's a wonderful success story and internet/trip advisor have played a primary role in getting his name known to the larger public. I love this tailor and his family of workers and happily pay more, it's still a bargain and to watch these hard working Cambodian's enjoy economic profit is what it's about.

Edited: 10:01 pm, October 23, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
26. Re: Tailor made shirts

Any idea on alternative tailor beside Mr Cung?

Just in case he is too busy to take my order.

Paris, France
27. Re: Tailor made shirts

Try Angkor independent tailor But better yet Cung tailleur (Khmer Vietnamese) #183 rue 110 VP Ang Duong. Tel 011332137

As good as any Thai tailor at 75% less Thai prices. In Thailand you can buy ready made shirts cheaper than having them tailored. Don't let anyone tell you good work cannot be found in phnom penh. Cung is superb and sews both men and women. Angkor mostly cater to men.

Sydney
28. Re: Tailor made shirts

Coincidentally, Khom has just returned from Mr. Cung where she collected a ladies, single breasted, three button, long sleeve, Jacket with two external pocketsand an internal breast pocket and with "hacking" style rear flap, which is better than single slit flap, for riding motos. She had one fitting prior to collection and the jacket is just fine and she is very pleased with it.

Mr. Cung is now 74 years old and as busy as ever!

All best regards to all.

Ian

Singapore, Singapore
29. Re: Tailor made shirts

What's the price for a set of suit? And a shirt?

Sydney
30. Re: Tailor made shirts

DoDoSG,

You will have to ask him yourself.

First, you select your fabric, all of which, in different qualities, come from different countries and are at different prices. As is normal.

Then you discuss the cut and style required.

This influences the hours of cutting, tailoring and fitting required.

Then you agree a price.

No different from any other good tailor any where in the world.

This is no tourist trap tailor!

Best regards. Ian

Reply to: Tailor made shirts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted