We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one week in Phnom Penh

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
one week in Phnom Penh

Hi I'll be in Phonm Penh for around one week in February (14-21). I've never been before and so would love to fit in as much as possible! What would you recommend I do and see?

Also does anyone know the best way to get from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh - would love to travel by boat along the Mekong Delta!

Thanks for your help

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
reviews: 75
1. Re: one week in Phnom Penh

This might be a good place to begin

canbypublications.com/phnompenh/ppintro.htm

happy planning

helen

Christchurch, New...
reviews: 12
2. Re: one week in Phnom Penh

As far as I know, it takes about 4 1/2 hours to get to Chau Doc in Saigon from Phnom Penh by boat including border time. The bus ride takes 5 hrs.

Sydney
3. Re: one week in Phnom Penh

Hello Anewworld,

It rather sounds as if you have never travelled this route, have you?

Down stream, with Mekong in good flow, Phnom Penh to Chau Doc via KH border control post at Khdrm Samnor and the VN border control post at Song Tien and then another circa 30 minutes ++ down stream to city of Chau Doc is all of 4 1/2 to 5 hours, assuming no delays at border control posts or delayed checking and clearance of boat for onward passage.

Then you have to decide. On by boat from Chau Doc to Can Tho or overland to Saigon/HCMC. A long trip by bus.

If by boat to Can Tho you then need to find another boat from Can Tho as no regular daily services to Saigon/HCMC, which is not on the Mekong River system but on the Saigon River. Can Tho to Saigon is a fullish day by fast boat.

Best regards. Ian

Sydney
4. Re: one week in Phnom Penh

Hello again Anewworld,

I am a very regular bus traveler between Phnom Penh - Saigon/HCMC - Phnom Penh and I have never ever completed this trip in five (5) hours. Hardly surprising really as it is advertised as a six (6) hour trip but can frequently take seven or more hours because of the numerous variables on this route.

Which bus company did you use to do it in five hours? And how recently was this?

Best regards. Ian

Edited: 2:58 am, January 12, 2010
Dublin
5. Re: one week in Phnom Penh

Hi,

Thanks for that link helen, found some good places that I should definitely start with so at least I know where to begin!

But I know i can get a bus journet to HCMC from Phnom Penh but would prefer the more scenic option of going along the Mekong Delta. Has anyone done that before? I've definitely heard that you can do it but I'm just not sure where to buy tickets from and how long it actually takes?

Thanks again

naoise

UK
reviews: 136
6. Re: one week in Phnom Penh

Some of the highlights of PP are:-

Royal Palace

National Museum

Riverside

Killing Fields

S21

Drink at FCC

Wat Phnom

Russian Market

Enjoy this wonderful city!

7. Re: one week in Phnom Penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 13, 2010