We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights 1 day in Phnom Penh

Which Phnom Penh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 3
2 nights 1 day in Phnom Penh

Hi we will be in Phnom Penh in end feb 2009 for 2 nights and 1 day and would like recommendations on what to see do. Is it worth going on a tour or doing it ourselves? how easy is it to navigate to the various sights? Any recommendations on restaurants/bars will be great too! Due to short time scales I am inclined to skip Phnom Penh altogether and move on to Siem Reap, however am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Venetia

London, United...
reviews: 41
1. Re: 2 nights 1 day in Phnom Penh

Hi,

I went a couple of years ago and stayed for roughly the same amount of time. We hired a man and a moped for a day and went to the Killing Fields and S21 - so not the most joyfull of days but helps to understand the countries past and gave me a great deal of respect for those that went through it and survived.

There are also a couple of palaces that are worth having a look at.

Whether you skip it or not to me depends on how much time you have in Siem Reap..

I was there too long ago to reccomend bars but the area by the lake is the main backbacker area and remember there being a couple of ok bars and places to eat.. Though assuning there are perhaps some more upmarket options now.

Verity

los angeles
reviews: 4
2. Re: 2 nights 1 day in Phnom Penh

The prison (spelled something like Tuol Sleng) is in the heart of the city. The killing fields is a bit outside the city. There is a famous palace (I think it's called the Silver palace) that is worthwhile. There is a short hill (whose name I forgot) near the Hotel Le Royal (probably the best choice) that was pretty and gave a nice view of the city. You will have a full day of sightseeing in Phnom Penh. Many streets are unpaved, so it can take some time to get from place to place. Interesting city. Enjoy.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 51
3. Re: 2 nights 1 day in Phnom Penh

Well spent 1 day seeing the major sites in Phnom Penh...

1. Killing Fields (20min from Center)

2. S21 (School turned into torture prison)

3. Russian Market

4. National Museum

5. Royal Palace

Personally hired a private car/driver -$30 for the day.

Bars - Sharky's, Heart of Darkness, Martini's and few other less memorable. Used a tuk tuk from hotel - couple dollars per ride, however they will wait if you want them too.

Brisbane
reviews: 6
4. Re: 2 nights 1 day in Phnom Penh

Britmaveric has mentioned all the major sites to see which can easily be done in your timeframe. Hire a tuk tuk to take you to the various sites.

One must do is Raffles Hotel. Check out the half price happy hour cocktails at the elephant bar 6-8pm nightly.

Pics and stories of our trip here... www.thebobmarsh.com

Happy & safe travels

London
reviews: 3
5. Re: 2 nights 1 day in Phnom Penh

Thank you all so much for advise.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
reviews: 294
6. Re: 2 nights 1 day in Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh also has some fantastic restaurants such as Friends, Khmer Surin etc, have a look at my link below for some more good eating spots along with photos and prices of the food we had etc.

Cathy

cathyandgarystravelpages.com/phnom_penh.htm

Australia
reviews: 36
7. Re: 2 nights 1 day in Phnom Penh

I think Britmaveric pretty much covered the options for a 1 day / 2 night stya in PP.

If you are staying on the river front, it is easy to walk to the Palace and Museum. We had a Tuk Tuk and driver for US$15 for the day that covered all the places listed by Britmaveric.

I liked PP, very easy to spend 3 or 4 days in.

8. Re: 2 nights 1 day in Phnom Penh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 17, 2009