We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petite female - what kind of luggage?

Which Cambodia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 86
Petite female - what kind of luggage?

I'm doing 2 months across SEA solo. I'm a petite female (5'0, 100lbs at best). I am struggling trying to decide what type of luggage to use. I know…pack light. And I intend to. My dilemma lies in the wheeled-carry-on-size-suitcase vs travel-backpack vs wheeled-backpack. I will also have a daypack. I plan to check the large piece (can't get around this and I'm ok with that.)

The backpack…fits me, holds 60L, but I don't se me being happy at all about carrying it when everyone else is happily rolling along in airports, etc.

The carry-on size suitcase - will be a pain in places like Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, when I am travelling mostly by bus, no?

The wheeled backpack - expensive, but a happy medium. Hence the research and questions here.

As for my trip, I've all my hotels & hostels booked so I will not be walking around looking for accommodation. I'll be flying between countries, taking buses in Cambodia & Laos. And will be taking taxis/drivers from airports to hotels. The only time I'll be walking with my my luggage, really, is crossing the border from Thailand into Laos via the Friendship Bridge.

Hoping more experienced travellers can give me some input here. Can I get away with the carry-on size luggage, or is it best I suck up the cost and get a wheeled backpack. I'll be posting this in other forums as well.

Many thanks for your input in advance. :o)

3 replies to this topic
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
reviews: 11
1. Re: Petite female - what kind of luggage?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293939-i9162-k703…

reviews: 1
2. Re: Petite female - what kind of luggage?

I spent 6 weeks traveling around thailand and cambodia this year and used a 46L Osprey Porter travel pack. It is the max allowable carryon size, and was accepted on all of my flights. For me it was the perfect size and made it easy to get around. Theres nothing funnier than watching people get off the longtail boats on a thai island with their roller bag and try and drag it up the beach. Traveling light is easy in SEA. My bag was 2/3 full when i started and i filled the rest up with stuff i bought along the way. I did buy a cheap day pack while i was over there.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 5
3. Re: Petite female - what kind of luggage?

Hi there,

My wife and I spent 3 months travelling Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand with a High Sierra AT6 wheeled back packj with removable day pack. With the day pack off the back pack meets all airline regs. for carry on luggage. No paying for checked luggage, no waiting for baggage carousels at airports, and basically your luggage never leaves your sight except when travelling on buses and luggage goes underneath.

Happy travels.

Reply to: Petite female - what kind of luggage?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted