We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti Skimming devices for Passports and credit cards

Which Cambodia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
reviews: 3
Anti Skimming devices for Passports and credit cards

Hi All,

recently I have seen alot of information about anti skimming protection for your credit cards and passports. The thieves just scan your information by walking past you, eeeek! I have seen everything from wrapping your passport and credit cards in alfoil and duct tape to buying more sophisticated pouches, wallets etc. What is your advice?

Sydney
1. Re: Anti Skimming devices for Passports and credit cards

Don't worry about it.

Just secure your passport at your hotel and leave it there.

You are not required to carry your passport in Cambodia.

It is only required at time of check in to validate your personal details and KH Visa Number.

As for credit cards, as for above except when you need to take one out with you to use it.

Best regards. Ian

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
reviews: 85
2. Re: Anti Skimming devices for Passports and credit cards

Buy a lead insert for your wallet if you are seriously concerned.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne
reviews: 25
3. Re: Anti Skimming devices for Passports and credit cards

As far as I know only contactless cards can be skimmed by these devices. For normal credit cards you can not just use a contactless skimming device, but it is usualy achieved when using your card in a shop or a restaurant and it leaves your sight. At least this is the case here in the UK, and haven't heard any isues for normal cards.

But obviously both above tips should help to avoid loosing your passport or CC anyway.

Australia
reviews: 3
4. Re: Anti Skimming devices for Passports and credit cards

Thank you everyone.

Anyone going to be in Cambodia or Vietnam in December 2013? So looking forward to our trip. Never been to Cambodia or Vietnam so am learning much from Trip Advisor and all the wonderful members.

Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 4
5. Re: Anti Skimming devices for Passports and credit cards

I have a passport holder that is scan proof. These can be purchased from any travel shop for a few bucks. And I also have a pacsafe backpack.this company specializes in travel safe products with scan proof material and steel mesh built in the pack. They really make great products. Pacsafe. As stated before, never carry your passport around any town, a simply photocopy will do and leave in hotel safe

6. Re: Anti Skimming devices for Passports and credit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 03, 2014