We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Which Cambodia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Where to go?

I am planning to travel to SE Asia on a limited budget with a friend and have to pick a country to go to. I am between Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam. It would be from July 25-30 of this year (only 6 days). We would like to visit a country where we can travel to various rural towns yet we would not like very touristy places in order to get to know the more traditional culture of the country.

What country and places in that country would you recommend?

We have also considered renting motorcycles yet we've never ridden before. Is that too crazy?

Thanks

Andres

Sentosa Island...
1. Re: Where to go?

Vietnam.

Fly into ho cho minh city, rent a bike there and ride all the way through the mekong delta region. here you can visit towns such as Vinh Long. Its cheap and a very wonderful cultural experience. The vietnamese people are wonderfully friendly and the food is fantastic.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
reviews: 78
2. Re: Where to go?

if you have never ridden a motor bike before it is utter insanity to even consider riding in any one of these - sheer stupidity! The vast majority of visitors to Cambodia, Thailand & Vietnam are terrified the first half dozen times they attempt to cross the road - check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNWucQJGVI

take yourself off to the library, borrow a guide book for each country read them thoroughly and then decide - you need to do much more research. Pick one country - work out a draft itinerary and then post it on the forum for that country.

check out www.travelfish.org - links to all countries in blue at the top

Of course I'm going to say Cambodia - but not for the rural towns - but for the amazing Temples of Angkor.

Edited: 2:37 am, June 12, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 159
3. Re: Where to go?

miss w has given you the wrong advice, you can't ride a motorbike yourself in Vetnam without a Vietnam driving licence, go to the Vietnam forum and you'll see there's a sticky at the top of the page on the rules of driving in Vietnam. Cambodia or Laos would be the best options for such a short period.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
4. Re: Where to go?

Rent bicycles - $1 or $2 a day - it is a great way to get closer to the culture - you are treated less like a tourist on a bicycle - Cambodia and parts of Thailand are very flat, so it is very easy cycling

Hong Kong, China
5. Re: Where to go?

I'm planning on possibly spending 5-6 days in cambodia as well in july. I love biking and it would be incredible to go biking. Iamlee, what would you recommend? Can I do this (with 2 friends) without a tour guide?

6. Re: Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 15, 2014