We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap September 2007

Which Cambodia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Siem Reap September 2007

I wanted to thank everyone in this forum for lending out helpful advice, tips, assurance, and heads- up on everything about Vietnam and Cambodia!

We are back from a 3 weeks trip to Hanoi, Halong Bay, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, and Ho Chi Minh City.

Cambodia holds a special place in my heart...It was good to relive it after so many years.

I am not a good writer therefore instead of a trip report I will share the link to my pictures of Siem Reap (warning it’s a long show 140 + pictures):

www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp…

In brief:

-Ponheary Ly was our guide

-Nak (spelling?) our driver

-Angkor Temples

-Helicopter over Angkor Wat with Helicopter Cambodia

-Angkor Holiday Hotel

-Mr. Morimoto at IKTT; Institute for Khmer Traditional Textiles.

-Village school near Banteay Srei; the visit is organized by Ponheary

-Apsara dance show at Koulen II restaurant

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 42
1. Re: Siem Reap September 2007

hehe, nice photos.

Very sad that Angkor temples are not among the new wonder of the wold :/

melbourne
reviews: 2
2. Re: Siem Reap September 2007

Hi Villie

Loved your photos yet again. I got our photo from Hanoi developed. Send me a pm with your email addy and I'll send you one.

I loved Cambodia and am giving friends your dotphoto addy. LOL

Cheers Marian

Texas
3. Re: Siem Reap September 2007

Thanks for the replies. Indeed Angkor Wat should always be one of the wonders of the world. The aerial view of the temple was breathtaking!! Angkor Wat was amazing back then and still is now in my view..

Marian, I just PM you my email and would love to see the group photo you took of all of us in Hanoi. I am glad you shared the photo link!

U.S.A. ( the land...
4. Re: Siem Reap September 2007

Villefranche, I just watched your splendid slide show - many thanks! Fabulous pictures! It was nice to see Ponheary after reading so much about her on this forum. The views from the helicopter were wonderful. How did you arrange this ride, how much does it cost and how long do you stay in the air? The NZ pilot looks very sure of himself :-).

Loved all the pics of the children, especially the adorable girl with her doll and her baby brother(?). Did *you* donate the bikes and food at the school? How did you arrange that?

The temples are magnificent - and the Bayon faces.

What camera did you use? We are amateur photographers and hope we can get some great shots :-).

I'm glad we will be seeing the Koulen2 dance show, too. Were you seated at the front or did you go up to the stage to get those lovely shots of the dancers?

Thanks again! Sounds like you had a great trip. Must be thrilling to see a place 38 years later and comparing photographs/memories of past with present.

U.S.A. ( the land...
5. Re: Siem Reap September 2007

Villefranche, also wanted to ask you - how on earth did you manage to 'handle' all those kids swarming you with requests for a dollar? :-)

I'm used to a few kids or adults in South Asia approaching me and asking for money, food etc., but never so many at one time! What is your secret? :-)

Texas
6. Re: Siem Reap September 2007

Hi Livinglife,

Wow, I am glad you enjoyed the slide show and will try to answer your questions in one post:

The helicopter ride was a good treat after leaving the children at the village school. I was inspired to do the helicopter ride after seeing pictures posted by a Trip Advisor member TEEVEE back in June and PM her for more info. Thanks again TEEVEE!

tripadvisor.com/…8560162

Our guide took us to the Helicopter Cambodia reservations office in SR to book the flight. We did the 14 minutes scenic flight for $130usd per person. There is a minimum of 3 passengers per flight. The Pilot was excellent and a good commentator!!

>>Did *you* donate the bikes and food at the school? How did you arrange that?

We donated the food at the school and the bikes to the students going to secondary school. The bikes money was sent in advance in March so Ponheary could purchase them before we arrived in late September. We sent the donation money to the Ponheary Ly foundation in Austin, Texas. You could either contact Ponheary or Lori Carson at theplf dot org for more questions.

Ponheary is an incredible human being and we appreciated her and glad to be with her for the short three days. She spent much time and energy to guide all six of us and when one member of our family lost the passport (long story) she was most helpful staying in contact with our guide in Phnom Penh while we were on the road to PP.

The adorable girl caring her baby brother and her doll just wanted to be photographed. She watched us taking pictures of the water buffalos. Her warm smile was enchanting!!

The Bayon faces are fascinating to look at, aren’t they? I have an old black and white photo I took of my dad standing up high next to one of Bayon face. The sculpted face was in better preserved 38 years ago.

I use an old Sony digital 7megapixels camera for this trip.

I glad you will be seeing the Koulen2 dance show. Ponheary made the reservation for us to sit at a front table so the view was great. You can go up to the stage at the end of the show to take pictures.

About the swarming kids at the temple, there is no secret --

We went looking for sweet palm fruits to eat at the food stands in front of the Angkor Wat entrance when a crowd of kids surrounded us by saying “UN dollar please!!” my spouse tried to give a small bill in riel; the little kid turned it down !! “UN dollar please!!” he repeated...

I gave in and bought few bracelets however other kids begged me to buy more so we left and they chased us to the car. I could help but capture the event from inside the van. We finally stopped them by giving back all the bracelets we bought and close the car door.

Without doubt the children in the temples will earn more money by begging and selling stuff than a certified guide’s day of work.

Those kids deserve better they need to be in school.

I read your trip in is a week. Have a fabulous trip!

U.S.A. ( the land...
7. Re: Siem Reap September 2007

Thanks so much for all the info, Ville! Very generous and kind of you to arrange for the purchase of all those bikes in advance, really caring. Ponheary is not our guide on our trip but I will try to find out what is most needed and can send the money after our trip, if necessary. I'd most like to donate towards the clearing of the mines in rural areas, besides helping kids.

How moving that you have a pic of your dad in SR all those years ago!

The helicopter rides...ouch, expensive! But the aerial views are splendid - one can imagine how Angkor Wat must have looked in its heyday with jungle all around.

I think those pics of the kids hounding you in your car are the most evocative. We usually buy food for kids ( not sweets) but the bracelets are not a bad idea when there's a whole bunch of them asking for money!

Thanks for your wishes for a safe trip - I hate flying and we have many, many long-haul hours ahead of us :-( . It will all be worth it though.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 24
8. Re: Siem Reap September 2007

Just saw your slide show. Thank you. What beautiful pictures. I'll be going to Siem Reap in January and followed your thread with interest as you asked questions I didn't know enough to ask. Got a lot of information and am getting even more excited about my trip.

9. Re: Siem Reap September 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 11, 2009