We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

Which Bandar Seri Begawan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton
reviews: 6
Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

Hi all,

I am travelling to see family in Australia and am stopping off at BSB aiprt for 10 hours!! (cheap flight)

I am a single female traveller so I am looking for help please.

1. Can I leave the airport?

if so

2. Is there anything I can do to utilise my time there ? ie: trips?

3. Would it be safe for a female lone traveller to do this?

I love exploring but obviously safety is my top priority.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thankyou x

Oregon
reviews: 42
1. Re: Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

Brunei is entirely safe. You will not be bothered. At the airport you are about 4 miles from town and can take a taxi or (if you're lucky and it is daylight) a bus. The downtown area is small so you can see it all in a couple of hours, enjoy a meal or two. visit the beautiful mosque, and, if you like walk out to the nearest water villages or take a short tour. I do not really recommend paying for a tour, but we are all different so it may appeal to you. I don't know about leaving your luggage at the airport, but assume it is doable. With ten hours to spare, you really should go into town.

Northampton
2. Re: Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

Ahh thankyou very much. I think perhaps a taxi and a walk will be lovely in that case. I will look into the luggage situation... to be honest with you I had not even considered that! I assumed I could leave it checked in.

Many thanks for your reply x

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 55
3. Re: Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

Hi WhirlyShirl,

I'll be flying from Brisbane to Bangkok via BSB. In talking to the airline I asked the stupid question and as long as my bags are booked straight through to Bangkok and I'm staying less than 24 hours in BSB then I can just leave them checked in so there is no need to pick them up at the BSB airport whilst in transit. Hope this helps you.

Oscar

BSB
4. Re: Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

when would be your date of arrival? best thing would be to go visit some sites i.e mosques located in town area to view the beautiful architectures and water village with the remaining time.. go head to gadong which is our shopping area with quite a selection of coffee shops to just sit back and relax if you like with your laptop as we have free internet access at these cafes.

Karachi, Pakistan
reviews: 4
5. Re: Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

I also recommend you visit Royal Regallia. Its a kind of meuseum where personal /royal belongings of Sultan are displayed.

Kuala Lumpur
reviews: 1
6. Re: Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

Do check-in your luggage through to Oz provided your flight in and out of BSB are of the same airline.

Taxi fare one way to town is about A$23~$30 depending on location. About 10mins drive to Bandar or Gadong. You might have a problem getting a taxi back to airport as they're limited on the road. Either you call them to pick you up or find a taxi stand/hotels.

Not too sure about bus fare, but I think it starts at less than A$1. Slightly more convenient compared to taxi.

You can do the sites as suggested by others. Royal Regalia to the mosque/water village is about 10-15mins walk. You can stop by Yayasan (shopping) Complex for a meal/drink... head back to airport after that. Its very safe for a female lone traveller. Hope this helps.

Northampton
7. Re: Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

Thank you for all your replies,

I will do some further research into the tours available as I have been told the airline run tours..??

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 55
8. Re: Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

Hi again Whirlyshirl,

Yes, Royal Brunei does organise tours, however they will be dependent on what time you arrive. We had a 4 hour stop over so only had time for the 2 hour tour, but there are longer ones. Bander Seri Begawan is very safe and you may be as surprised as I was by how beautiful it is. You will not be allowed entry into the mosques but even viewing them from the outside is an experience.

Our tour was $25 Brunei Dollars but I'm sure it will be more for an extended tour. $5 of this is for your visa so expect a bit of a wait in line to be processed. My suggestion is to take some Singapore currency with you as it is readily accepted there and anything you don't spend will be easily converted back to ponds when you get home. The markets are wonderful so hopefully you'll get a chance to taste some delicasies there.

There isn't any storage at the airport so what you take on the plane will have to go with you on your tour so keep that in mind. In saying that we were at first apprehensive about leaving our possessions on the bus but after a while we realised the safety levels here are quite high.

Oscar

Northampton
9. Re: Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

Oh thats great, thankyou. I will get some money changed up before I leave UK then to put by for tours. I land early in the morning (6am) and am there all day so it is a good time for stops and tours. I thought I would like to make the most of it, but it is just that travelling alone, I would like to know in advance what I could do. Although I am up for new adventures, I am also a tad nervous! lol

NEW ZEALAND
reviews: 9
10. Re: Stopover in BSB airport - help please.

HI there Im also a lone female traveller stopping over in BSB for 7 hours back to New Zealand. Im very interested as well going into town to look around all the photos look really amazing. Will 7 hours be enough time to catch a tour I land at 2pm and depart at 9pm.