We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

Which Nha Trang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 7
Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

…baomoi.com/Home/…354903.epi

A friend of mine had the same experience. Arrived with wife and son in a car. Was told to pay 5 bucks each for the permission to enter the beach. On top of the car parking fee. He left. I've been back with him since and the people 'guarding' the beach seem to have understood my position on taking BS from idiots.

Those Vietnamese never let up, do they?

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
1. Re: Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

I thought it was only Western tourists that they targeted but at least perople aren't just paying up.

London
2. Re: Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

During holidays there are many local tourists in Nha Trang. The thing is that most of these things never get reported. Who wants to spend 4-5 hours at the police station why they handwrite reports in triplicate? And then archive them.

QLD
reviews: 25
3. Re: Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

Yeah, I rode out there after a nice experience and rode into the parking area to get pounced on and yelled at by seemingly aggressive operators yelling 'YOU, YOU, HERE and much pointing"

I thought, yeah, if its like this in an empty carpark at 10-00am what'll it be like actually on the beach, so turned around and rode off.

A shame as I was looking forward to it

Washington DC...
reviews: 40
4. Re: Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

Wait til you orderr lobster at the restaurants there - it is 100 USA dollars

Edited: 5:52 pm, May 01, 2013
Christchurch, New...
reviews: 78
5. Re: Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

So what is the recommended procedure here ?

How threatening are these people ?

Can you just ignore them and walk past them to the beach ?

Do you have to carry a big stick when visiting here ?

Or do you risk getting assaulted or your car damaged ?

I am planning to go to Bai Dai in July, but like the others this sort of behaviour is rather offputting

What is the best approach ?

London
6. Re: Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

No, it rarely happens; sometimes, at the entrance, they try to pull a fast one. The thing is, you don't even pay at the entrance, you drive down a dirt road and only pay for motorbike parking when you retrieve it before leaving.

You don't want to miss going to that beach, it is by far the most beautiful of the three (Nha Trang proper and the small beach on the north side of Nha Trang being the other two). Unfortunately, you do have to sit in one of the restaurants, there is no other shade anywhere.

Also, contrary to what the news article says, the distance to the beach is not 10 km, more like 27. You need to go by bike or car.

Now, the food at the Shack for example, is not exactly cheap. A pineapple, sold by beach walking vendors is 25,000, it costs 10,000 outside the market. But they have to transport everything to the beach, so some markup is to be expected.

Edited: 8:11 pm, May 01, 2013
Nha Trang, Vietnam
7. Re: Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

there are much nicer beaches in the area than Bai Dai

Nha Trang, Vietnam
8. Re: Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

as for lobsters, which are actually Langouste, the real price is very high in Vietnam, the farmer price is about 75 $ Kg, most is exported to fancy hotels , hong kong, japan ...

yes there are folks on the beach and the street selling them for 10 $ each, but these are either sick or dead a long time, very low quality or have been stolen at night by diving thieves ... thjs last one happens a lot

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
reviews: 16
9. Re: Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

As far as I know you do not have to pay an entrance fee if you are on a motorbike, just a small parking fee. Cars and buses do have to pay an entrance fee and there should be a sign stating the price. It's well worth a visit.

QLD
reviews: 25
10. Re: Don't be scammed at Bai Dai Beach in Nha Trang

"as for lobsters, which are actually Langouste,"

I saw plenty of people selling painted crays

They aint no langouste

…staticflickr.com/1430/…