We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nha Trang CIty and Local Tours Offered by Students

Which Nha Trang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 63
Nha Trang CIty and Local Tours Offered by Students

Chrella in the Da Nang forum posted about Da Nang university students, who offer free tours in exchange to practice their English and to learn about other cultures. My wife and I would enjoy participating in something like this in Nha Trang.

NT has a large university student population on the north side of the tourist area. Is anyone aware of such a group that might be doing something like this?

In the absence of something like this, I have contemplated teaching English informally to university students that have a strong desire to learn the language for free. However, I'm not interested in getting on the wrong side of the law. I have the requisite credentials. Thanks in advance.

Richard

Nha Trang, Vietnam
reviews: 24
1. Re: Nha Trang CIty and Local Tours Offered by Students

Richard, there is nothing organized like that up in our area so far that I know of, however, a few minutes in a coffee shop is usually enough for some curious student wanting to practice english to approach you and there you have it...... instant guide ;) C'Mon over.... they need your English tutoring. The teachers in the hospitality college here can read and write English, but barely speak it.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Nha Trang CIty and Local Tours Offered by Students

Owee,

So I've heard. Sitting amongst a batch of inquisitive and curious university students is right down my alley, if only to help them pronounce a word correctly. Here in the States, students can seemingly disrupt classroom lessons with impunity. It would be refreshing to teach a little English for free to those that cannot afford lessons and that would appreciate the instruction. I laugh at my wife's English, and when we get to Nha Trang, she will be able to laugh at my Vietnamese. All good fun!

I sense I'll be setting up camp somewhere north of the bridge......

Richard

Llanbrynmair...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Nha Trang CIty and Local Tours Offered by Students

Richard, if you ever find yourself in Hanoi...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293924-i8595-k4…

Los Angeles...
4. Re: Nha Trang CIty and Local Tours Offered by Students

Creaking,

Yes, we have been to Ha Noi a couple times and spent a lot of time around the lake but never encountered any students. Perhaps our visits were too early in the day. My experience is that the students are not shy about practicing their English. It's hard to leave these guys when they so desperately want to learn.

Back in Nha Trang, my wife and I found ourselves walking up Nguyen Dinh Chieu from 2 Thang 4 street, and we encountered hundreds of students, who apparently were just being released from classes at Nha Trang University. The little shops and street vendors were doing a brisk business, especially the ones selling cold drinks and snacks.

Richard

5. Re: Nha Trang CIty and Local Tours Offered by Students

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, July 17, 2013