We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

payment for mekong cruise

London, United...
payment for mekong cruise

Has any one booked a mekong cruise from uk and if so how did you pay? We are being asked to pay via western union, bank transfer or by photocopying our credit card both sides, sending 3 signatures on blank paper and photocopying passport details whilst also phoning the bank to tell them we are doing this??/ Has anyone experienced this? Please help!?

Sydney
reviews: 120
1. Re: payment for mekong cruise

Western Union and Bank transfers are very secure but do not send copies of your CC.

Most of the reputable companies use sites like Onepay etc....which are also very good and I have never had an issue with them.

Priority 1 is to inform your bank of your travel dates to Vn and also that you may make small transactions prior to departure. The contact number should be on the back of your CC.

Nothing worse than the Card fraud section of the bank shutting down your card when you are in the middle of Vn :-)

Oops, sorry Tonky. I'm not from the UK. Hope thats ok.

Mark

Edited: 6:06 am, February 24, 2013
London, United...
2. Re: payment for mekong cruise

Thanks Mark,

I am trying to find out if that is the normal way of paying these cruise companies out there. I'm worried in case it is a fraudulent company, I won't be protected or able to get my money back if things went wrong?

Sydney
reviews: 120
3. Re: payment for mekong cruise

I just replied to a similar post Tonky,

Email them and ask for their BIC or/and Swift code and their Bank and account details, and tell them you will be paying via a direct bank transfer. It may cost a couple of dollars more but you can relax knowing that the bank has endorsed it and it has gone thru securely.

I had to do the same thing this week.

Mark

Lincoln, United...
reviews: 28
4. Re: payment for mekong cruise

The basic problem is that some Vietnamese banks demand this ID etc and the cruise company then ends up asking you for those details. It's how the Vietnamese work.

I've used Western Union and bank transfers sending money to Vietnam. You'd need to check which is cheaper for the amount you are looking to send. With WU though I would rather pay into a bank, rather than pay out in cash. You need the swift code for the cruise company's bank plus account number, holder's name etc. Bank transfers can end up expensive. Some charge a one off fee (mine charges £18 for any amount up to £35000), others a percentage. While it might be normal in Vietnam I would not under any circumstance photocopy any card.

Do be aware that you have no protection at all doing a bank transfer, it's not like using a debit or credit card where you do have some avenues of redress if it all tips up ( info: which.co.uk/consumer-rights/… ). Are you paying the fiull amount or just a deposit? A deposit would be more normal. Do they do Paypal? That could be another way to pay too.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
reviews: 29
5. Re: payment for mekong cruise

Most of reputable companies would ask for bank transfer method or Onepay ( secured online payment which is convinience and safe .

Cheers

Nhung

Ho Chi Minh City...
6. Re: payment for mekong cruise

I prefer not sending the card info. Most service providers have contract with Onepay or Paypal so you can settle the payment yourself and no others know your card details. This way is common in Vietnam today.

Hannover, Germany
7. Re: payment for mekong cruise

I refer paying by credit card but never with the scan of the card + my signature. Anyway, it depends on the fee of each payment methods. If the company is reliable, we could pay by any if it's cheapest!

8. Re: payment for mekong cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 23, 2014