We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best use of time in Hue

Which Hue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 8
Best use of time in Hue

We will set off about 9am on 1st April by private transfer from Hoi An via Hai Van pass and Lang Co beach. We will have already been to Da Nang and Marble Mountain. So we can be in Hue and checked in to Holiday Diamond Hotel by, say, 13:00. We have two nights there before our flight to Hanoi from Hue airport at 15:30 on day 3.

How does this sound?

Day 1 - tour citadel etc independently foot (closes 17:00?)

Day 2 - arrange private boat trip to Thien Mu pagoda and Song Bo river, with "Tam" if possible

Day 3 - taxi to Royal Tombs in the morning and straight on to airport for 13:30 checkin

Not sure whether to do Tu Duc, Minh Mang and Khai Dinh or miss one out, if so , which one?

I am struggling to find a map of the area to see the locations of these places, so a link would be great.

I am hoping Plover will answer and particularly help with the Day 2 itinerary, hopefully suggesting if we can pre-arrange something with Tam, rather than just look from him down by the river! Also how much should we be paying for that and the Day 3 taxi? One thing bothering me with regard to Day 2 is that my wife is afraid of dogs - are there a lot of strays around in the Song Bo villages?

39 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
reviews: 14
1. Re: Best use of time in Hue

On Google maps search for "Lang Tu Duc" etc to find each tomb rather than "Tomb of....." (you can end up searhing a city park) Khai Dinh and then Minh Mang are furthest away and it's about 20 km from them to Phu Bai airport.

PP
reviews: 106
2. Re: Best use of time in Hue

You dıdnt say the magıc word please so you may not get as many responses.

london
reviews: 8
3. Re: Best use of time in Hue

Apologies to Michael M, Plover and anyone else offended by my impoliteness.

Eindhoven, The...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Best use of time in Hue

Hue is easy to explore by all yourself. There a free tour guide org. from students in Hue.

You only need to pay for is tourist expenses for yourself and your voluntary tour guides. These include entrance fee at tourist spots and meals for you and your tour guides.

their website : http://hue-enter.com/

email hueenter@gmail.com, skype and yahoo messenger: maxwellm919, cell-phone: 01656154035

Edited: 8:40 am, March 17, 2014
leicester
reviews: 131
5. Re: Best use of time in Hue

How about a tour by moped? You sit pillion and its great fun, inexpensive and they drive safely. We loved it, going again this time as it was so enjoyable.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
reviews: 14
6. Re: Best use of time in Hue

We haven't heard from plover for maybe a month but he has said that he is booked into a hotel in Hue for the duration of the festival (and probably longer) and may be making his way there already. He recently posted Mr Tam's phone number : +84 905 768 523. Yes it is definitely best to pre-arrange the boat trip.

The motorbike day tours are fun but if you want to go directly from the tombs to the airport with all your luggage, a car is preferable. The hotel can arrange this easily. You will find them to be very friendly and helpful. I'm looking forward to being there a week later. Enjoy!

Sydney
reviews: 120
7. Re: Best use of time in Hue

Hey JamesnJill

Ignore Michaels comments as he is a wank-r.

If you arrive in Hue in the afternoon you could check out one of the Nguyen tombs (I like Tu duc :-). Do not allow to do the Citadel on foot as it is about 5 klm wide by 5 klm long and would take forever. Ask the hotel beforehand what they would charge for a driver for the day/ afternoon and go from there.

Mark

Perth, Australia
reviews: 9
8. Re: Best use of time in Hue

Free Tour Guides in Hue

Just email hueenter@gmail.com

Just back from my tour great way to see the sites and meet and talk to a local Uni Student.

reviews: 35
9. Re: Best use of time in Hue

Hi

I think your suggested itinerary includes good choices. You will be able to do the forbidden city in a few hours on the day you arrive (I think the person that said it is 5km by 5km means the old city inside the city walls which yes is too big to walk but the Forbidden city which you mean is not that big).

Not sure who Tam is but if you can't arrange with him then make your way to the river and there are many boats waiting. You can bargain a price with them and keep walking along until you find a price you agree with. Thien Mu isn't very far away so you will be able to fit more in on this day. Perhaps take bicycles on that boat and go as far as Tu Duc tomb. Despite living in Hue o haven't been to Minh Manhg or Kai Dinh tombs yet so I can't comment on them but Tu Duc is nice.

You taxi will be extremely expensive if you go to the tombs then airport. A taxi to the airport alone is 250, 000vnd and all of the tombs are out of town. So if you want to do this then you should hire a private car from your hotel and get a set price.

Have fun!

10. Re: Best use of time in Hue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, March 31, 2014

Reply to: Best use of time in Hue
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted