We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't get a train from Hue to Hanoi. Next best thing?

Which Hue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 29
Can't get a train from Hue to Hanoi. Next best thing?

Hello! So my partner and I are in a bit of a predicament. There are only hard sleepers left on the train from Hue To Hanoi and we'd really like to leave in the next two days. I've heard horror stories about the night bus - though I've taken them in Thailand many a time and survived. Hue airport is currently closed down, so we can't get a plane from here, only Da Nang.

Flights from Da Nang to Hanoi are at least $100 a person, and we'd have to treck back to Da Nang. Is the night bus really really that much worse than the ones in Thailand?

Is it worse than the hard sleeper train?

It just seems silly to spend all that money flying when we are backpacking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Llanbrynmair...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Can't get a train from Hue to Hanoi. Next best thing?

The difference between soft and hard sleepers is that the former have four berths per compartment and the latter have six, so more crowded and less head room. In addition, with all those extra people in the carriage as a whole the toilets become rank more quickly.

However I would rather put up with that than risk my life on a sleeper bus. I've one it once and will never ever do it again.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 3
2. Re: Can't get a train from Hue to Hanoi. Next best thing?

You might want to break the trip up into two parts.

Take a train to Vinh and spend half a day or day there before moving on to Ha Noi.

Cologne, Germany
reviews: 26
3. Re: Can't get a train from Hue to Hanoi. Next best thing?

I think the hard sleeper will be more comfortable and save than a bus. It's only one night, so not much to loose.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 29
4. Re: Can't get a train from Hue to Hanoi. Next best thing?

Thanks everybody! I'm on it

Moscow
reviews: 15
5. Re: Can't get a train from Hue to Hanoi. Next best thing?

Good luck. Four in a cabin was tight for me. Six is going to be, shall we say, "social". But better than a bus which will be the equivalent of 20 in a cabin.

6. Re: Can't get a train from Hue to Hanoi. Next best thing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 07, 2014