We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time to spend in Hue?

Which Hue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nokomis, Florida
reviews: 130
How much time to spend in Hue?

We are planning a trip to Vietnam. How much time would you allocate to Hue. We are interested in traditional architecture, local culture, crafts. In interesting places we like to just sit and also to have time to walk around and absorb the local 'vibe'. Our schedule is open-ended. We are considering a 7-8 days tour with Indochina Pioneer that gives us a few days in the hill areas (Lao Cai, Sapa) and on Ha Long Bay. Are there any other areas of Vietnam you would recommend. We are both experienced and flexible travelers and prefer places off the beaten track. I am an anthropologist; we both do photography. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sydney
reviews: 120
1. Re: How much time to spend in Hue?

bobinathens

You need a minimum of 2 nights in Hue. It is a photographers paradise. The Perfume river, The Citadel and the Nguyen tombs are screaming with architecture and photographic opportunities, not to mention the other zillion places to check out. You tube Hue and get a glimpse of what it has to offer.

Mark

Nokomis, Florida
2. Re: How much time to spend in Hue?

Thanks, Mark.

Moscow
reviews: 14
3. Re: How much time to spend in Hue?

I think two full days in Hue. I arrived midday and took off on a DMZ tour with a private guide and car. Arrived back in Hue at about 8 pm. I then had the following morning to get around the Citadel. However, I felt that I could have done with another 24 hours in Hue.

Nokomis, Florida
4. Re: How much time to spend in Hue?

Thank you. Any other suggestions for our time in Vietnam?

Moscow
reviews: 14
5. Re: How much time to spend in Hue?

Hanoi deserves at least two days and two nights. Sapa in September will coincide with the rice harvest and will be a photographer's paradise. However if you're on a package tour be sure that you will have time for setting up decent shots. I would do two nights in Sapa (and a night either way on the train) and one night in Halong Bay.

Boston, MA
reviews: 52
6. Re: How much time to spend in Hue?

Hue is simply stunning. My son was born there, so I have a bit of a bias!

Two nights would be a good start.

Take a dragon boat ride on the Perfume River to Thien Mu pagoda. Walk over the Trang Tien bridge to the gardens on the Citadel side. Spend some time wandering the Citadel. Tour one of the royal tombs if you have time. Talk about a photographer's paradise, indeed!!

Have a drink at the DMZ bar, near the open windows looking out onto the street. Buy some banh nam or com hen, if you are adventurous (I think it's a little bland).

Enjoy every moment in Hue! I am absolutely dying to go back. I have never seen fields so emerald green, and it's simply magical the way the mist hugs the hills. If you are traveling between Hue and Danang, you will surely believe you have found heaven on earth.

Hanoi, Vietnam
7. Re: How much time to spend in Hue?

You talk about off the beaten track. In the north, you could ask your travel agency provide the private tour by motobike to Moc Chau Plateau and Ha Giang province. The terrace rice is more beauty than in Sapa. Beside that, the beautiful of Ninh Binh (green fields interleaving with limestone mountain and river). That may be a good option for you to choose.

Cheers

TUN Travel

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 6
8. Re: How much time to spend in Hue?

In Hue I'd recommend our two men and their motorbikes for a wonderful trip to the Japanese bridge and surrounding countryside that can include a grilled seafood lunch on the beach at Thuan An or whatever you want to do. I'd only been on the back of a bike once about thirty years ago and was a bit hesitant but this day was one of the highlights of our trip this year. Very safe, careful riders who were a pleasure to spend time with.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post contact details but feel free to PM me if you want Duc's phone number.

For something different this year we went down to Ben Tre in the Mekong Delta for a short trip and loved it.

Planning to go back next year and wend our way through the Delta to the coast for a new adventure.

And yes, the DMZ bar in Hue is a great place to hang out. We always seem to end up being defacto English teachers for the locals but learn from them also and have lots of laughs.

9. Re: How much time to spend in Hue?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, July 03, 2013
Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
10. Re: How much time to spend in Hue?

You will need 2 full days in Hue but you don't say how long you have in total for your trip to Vietnam.