We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private driver.

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 195
Private driver.

Hi we are a family group - with 3 small children. When we travel we usually hire a car and independently drive or occasionally hire a driver for the day. Would any one know if I can do this in Vietnam and do you know any costs involved.

Also we are aware of taxi scams - had this happened with a driver for the day?

Thank you

Vicky

9 replies to this topic
Lincoln, United...
reviews: 28
1. Re: Private driver.

Hiring a self drive car is nigh on impossible - especially for an unlicensed foreigner.. You'd be having nightmares driving a car in Vietnam anyway. Car drivers don't drive around corners, they crawl, less they hit a motorbike. And the motorbikes don't stop passing either side just because you're turning. And you have to drive in the correct lane, can't always go down the same roads that motorbikes can. Crazy traffic system. Try Thailand, far more civilised!

As for a driver and car, US $60 a day is about the going rate. Maybe a little more with the recent fuel hikes.

Manchester, United...
2. Re: Private driver.

Thanks - yea we've driven in Thailand, Burma and Bali - lots of fun ... Lol!! $60 not band for a day - it may work our cheaper than doing lots of tours, plus we can do what we like . I'm also considering using the public bus ... But I need to do more research!

3. Re: Private driver.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, April 07, 2013

4. Re: Private driver.

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 am, February 04, 2014

Manchester, United...
5. Re: Private driver.

Thank you - Am I best getting a taxi and seeing what the full day rate is or getting a driver - like the ones above for the day? I'm just abit concerned about the securiy / safety of my children.

Ho Chi Minh City...
6. Re: Private driver.

You could get the taxi and see the rate, and the clock to know how much you have to pay. You dont need to worry about it if you choose taxi of good brands such as VinaSun, Mai Linh ...

Enjoy your trip

7. Re: Private driver.

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:53 am, April 09, 2013

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Private driver.

Hi Max, I'm looking for private transport from HCMC (or if possible from Ben Tre in the delta) to the Cat Tien National Park. Are you offering such a service and for what price? You can contact me on erikvanderplas@hotmail.com

Los Angeles...
reviews: 50
9. Re: Private driver.

“As for a driver and car, US $60 a day is about the going rate. Maybe a little more with the recent fuel hikes.”

Ya, I would say a quite a bit more. My trip from the airport to Ben Tre (110 km) was 1.2 million dong. Two hours, 110 km (70 miles), $56 plus tolls. The hotel wanted 1.3 million dong. That’s $61 for a two-hour trip. The trip back will be 1 million with my driver, and the hotel wanted 1.5 million, which is over $70 for a two-hour trip, still cheap by western standards.

Take the anticipated trip from Quy Nhon Airport to the city, a trip of 35 km or 22 miles (less than an hour) is $20.

So is the OP’s question related to city travel or long distance? SUV for five in a city could be budgeted at 20,000d/km in the city. Don’t make the driver wait, call for another taxi, pray for a stable meter and not one that has been rigged. Vinasun and/or Mai Linh would be good choices within a city. However, you probably wouldn’t want to pay for a taxi to take you from the airport to Ben Tre.

It’s a complex question with many variables, time and distance being at the top. I am thinking that car and private driver is more like $100/day (minimum). For an 8-hour day, figure you can travel maybe 240 miles (no stops).

Further, the OP will need a large car or SUV (family with three children and luggage) will not fit into a standard sedan, let alone have enough seat belts. No, the OP requires an SUV or larger vehicle with more room. Don’t budget anything less than $100/day for long distance travel.

For city travel, the other alternative previously offered is to hop on a tour, which avoids taxis and drivers. Transport is included in the tour. Good luck and Happy travels!

Richard

Reply to: Private driver.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted