We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
144 posts
48 reviews
One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

Hi,

We have one day in HCMC to do a tour out of town - either the Cu Chi Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple, or one day in the Mekong area. Which one would you recommend?

If Mekong, is it better to go to My Tho/Ben Tre, or go to Cai Be/Vinh Long.

Thanks!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

Totally depends on you and your preference. Cu Chi is going to provide insight into the heroics and infinite work involved in creating and living within the underground infrastructure constructed by the Vietnamese people, there is also a gun range that many find interesting.

The Mekong Delta is an area of great natural beauty and the people are some of the friendliest in the world. You will get to see a much different way of life and their traditional methods of producing local products is very interesting. Do avoid Cai Be as it has become a very touristy area, 20+ Bus loads of tourists per day speak to that.

Cheers.

new zealand
Level Contributor
4,957 posts
362 reviews
2. Re: One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

Tough call, But if it was me I would go to Mekong Delta. cu chi tunnels are set up for tourists. Interesting, but Mekong is a current way of life and culture. Try Mango cruises or similar to go to less tourist areas.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
Level Contributor
39,469 posts
177 reviews
3. Re: One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

I think I would also go with the Mekong but it depends if you're a bit of a war buff or not, we did both tours with the Sinh Tourist, they're a budget tour agency but very reliable.

www.thesinhtourist.vn

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

You might as well ask, which do you prefer, the zoo or a picknic. I recommend you google your choices and choose which ever suits your tastes. For the record though, I'd choose the Mekong.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

Hi,

I have known that the weather is too hot in Việt Nam now. So I think better for you to go to Mekong delta than to Cu Chi turned.

Enjoy your time there

Saigon
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

Post no 5 is right to go to Mekong delta with river breeze to escape the heat this time in saigon. up to 39 degree C

Ben Tre will be ... Place off beaten track will be Gocong of mekong delta

Cheers

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7. Re: One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

Hi,

My Tho- Ben Tre is preferred. you may take private tour or join group tour ( cheaper).

8. Re: One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:53 am, April 09, 2013
9. Re: One day out of town: Tunnels and Cao Dai Temple OR Mekong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 10, 2014