We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The availability of milk

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 235
The availability of milk

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering on the availability and the quality of milk in Vietnam. We will be traveling with 3 small children who drink milk daily. We do not need baby farmula - just normal cows / goats milk (the sort we put in out tea and on our cornfakes in the morning!).

Thank you

Vicky x

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 43
1. Re: The availability of milk

Milk and yogurt are excellent in Vietnam, but you want to try Viet traditional drip coffee in the morning (add sweetened condensed milk for a real treat, and the iced version is simply outstanding!)

Tea is often served while waiting for your coffee - at least it was to me in Hanoi (it can be quite a wait, as you will see)

Edited: 9:38 am, February 08, 2013
Nha Trang, Vietnam
reviews: 30
2. Re: The availability of milk

You can get milk in supermarkets. As daawgon suggests, condensed milk is for coffee, which you probably do not want to serve to small children.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
3. Re: The availability of milk

Tea in the UK is not really like tea in Viet Nam, daawgon :-)

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
4. Re: The availability of milk

Fresh milk is not always available, uht not refrigerated is the norm.

Also yoghurt sometimes it is not kept in a refrigerator and it has not an expire date (it should be 1 month), i don't read Vietnamese so the label is not helping.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 235
5. Re: The availability of milk

Thank you.

Yes I understand that its often the condensed milk in coffee, that's fine for me and my husband.

It was the drinking milk for children that they have warmed up at night (we have a kitchen in ho chi minh city) that I was wondering about. We don't need special baby formula just milk. If they sell it in supermarkets then thats good.

I'm looking forward to this trip :)

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 43
6. Re: The availability of milk

milk in tea, no thanks

Lincoln, United...
reviews: 32
7. Re: The availability of milk

Fresh milk is usually sold in the supermarkets (in HCMC). If the milk is in the chiller it isn't usually UHT milk but fresh, pasteurised. Dalat milk ( http://www.dalatmilk.com/en.html ) is quite widespread and the nearest to milk you can get at home.

new zealand
reviews: 311
8. Re: The availability of milk

I would be really cautious drinking milk in Vietnam. It was one of the things we avoided after getting sick from ice cream. Commercial packaged as well. We were advised by medical staff that pasteurised standards vary and its not always pasteurised, even though it says it is. Perhaps take some powdered milk with you and make up milk. From our family experience I really suggest you are very cautious with milk. We even avoided cereals with milk, deserts etc.

Llanbrynmair...
reviews: 10
9. Re: The availability of milk

Oh poppy, all too often people blame the last thing they ate as being the cause of their sickness, but that's by no means not always the case because it takes differing lengths of time for the different organisms that cause gastrointestinal maladies to reproduce themselves sufficiently to take effect, ranging from a few hours to 24 hours or more.

The ice cream you ate at Noi Bai airport (if I remember correctly) might or might not have been responsible for your family's illness (were all of you similarly afflicted, and did all of you eat the same food before going to the airport?), but Vicky J plans to heat the milk for her children, and presumably to a sufficiently high temperature and long enough to kill any pathogenic organisms present.

Indeed pasteurised milk might not be adequately pasteurised, as you say, but if she buys UHT milk (by far the most readily available form of milk in Vietnam) and heats it for long enough, there shouldn't be a problem.

I have to say though, that not once have I been detrimentally affected by milk, yoghurt or ice cream in Vietnam.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
10. Re: The availability of milk

Still alive after dozens yogurts, half of them not cold, so they were not in a fridge...

Yeah, I know that yogurt will gets first semi-solid and close to cheese like the Greek one before getting bad...