We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

XO Tours and tipping

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
XO Tours and tipping

Will be doing a XO tour in may and was wondering how

much should we tip the young ladies at the end of the

tour - can anyone tell me how much they tipped.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 51
1. Re: XO Tours and tipping

tip what you feel they deserve. 100K seems reasonable to me. ;)

Adelaide S.A.
reviews: 78
2. Re: XO Tours and tipping

You may want to PM some of the people that have reviewed the tour, but I agree with Britmaveric $5 is a good tip in any country.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
reviews: 32
3. Re: XO Tours and tipping

If XO Tours have indicated that tipping is normal you are being deceived. Tip by all means but only for exceptional service not because it is expected.

Cheers Ross

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 51
4. Re: XO Tours and tipping

^naturally if u want to tip then tip. If you do not then that is quite fine too. :)

Adelaide S.A.
reviews: 78
5. Re: XO Tours and tipping

I very much doubt if XO tours would suggest or even expect any sort of tip,I just suggested contacting reviewers as they would be able to tell you if they tipped and if so how much. I am doing a tour with them in about 5 weeks so have also wondered about the tipping thing and contacted some of their reviewers by PM to find out what they tipped. No one said that the company expected anything, but was very grateful of what they were given. From what I have heard they indeed do give an exceptional tour.

reviews: 1
6. Re: XO Tours and tipping

We did foodie tour on the 14th and had an amazing time yes we tipped the girls they do so much for you,you will know if they deserve to be tipped after the tour is finished and they drop you of at your door!If you are doing this tour we are so jelous you will have a great time

We wish we could go every night.

ENJOY!

melbourne
reviews: 24
7. Re: XO Tours and tipping

we did a private xo foodie tour earlier this month - it was one of the best things we did in hcmc not just because of the food but the whole experience. we saw places we would never have on our own and the company of the absolutely delightful guides was more than I ever expected. at the end of the day you tip based on your experience but there is no expectation of the guides that they want a tip. I would do this tour again without hesitation. it's an eye opener and you certainly won't be disappointed .

Perth, Australia
reviews: 16
8. Re: XO Tours and tipping

We went to XO tour in February this year… and thoroughly enjoyed the tour. My driver was lovely, chatting, very safe driver, and although has never mentioned about the tips … but she asked about what I do for a living or I must be well paid!

Somehow the conversion steered towards cost of livings or the living conditions in Ho chi Minh city can be a tough gig.

High cost of the XO tour is relative to the content of the tour, I felt it worth every cents / dong. But we did feel a “tightward” if we did not leave a tip, more so the tour leader is an expat from America ... getting tips is more or less way of life there for people working in the hospitality so I gave each driver 250K and round up the cost in USD to the next tenner’s.

IMO Ho chi Minh is reminisced me of a mini-me US administered state... the locals are adopting US customs and the citizens wealth are measured in USD currency.!!!

Edited: 9:18 am, May 02, 2012
Ho Chi Minh City...
9. Re: XO Tours and tipping

Hi everyone, my name is Tung, I'm the owner of XO Tours. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by responding to this topic since it is related to my business...but I'd like clear the air regarding the issue of tipping our guides.

At XO Tours, we understand that most countries do not have a culture of tipping and I personally make sure that none of our guides ask for or even insinuate that a tip is expected or desired.

Our guides are trained to treat each customer like a friend, so conversations range from a variety of topics, such as movies, food, shopping and yes...comparisons and contrasts of each other lives....which the topic of occupation does occasionally come up.

The guides are not supposed to talk about how much money someone makes however and I will make a point to make sure that is one of the topics that is off limits in the future, as misunderstanding may arise.

And although tipping is prevalent in the US, I have adopted VN as my home for a few years now and I rarely tip myself unless I receive amazing service.

Llanbrynmair...
reviews: 8
10. Re: XO Tours and tipping

Thanks Tung. A usefully informative post, and I think that in this particular case you're not breaking any rules.