We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney NSW
reviews: 2
Hanoi

We are in Vietnam for only 5 days staying in Hanoi, we were wondering if it is worth going to Hoi An for a night or two or would be better off staying in Hanoi, we are 3 woman who love shopping.

Pennsylvania, USA
reviews: 30
1. Re: Hanoi

With only 5 days I would stick to Hanoi. There is plenty to do and plenty of shopping opportunities. Here are my shopping recommendations for Hanoi:

www.personal.psu.edu/rxj9/Hanoi/Shopping.html

I live in Hanoi and visited Hoi An this past August. I found the quality of clothing and prices to be better in Hanoi than Hoi An. Also, while Hoi An is known for copying styles there are terrific original designs to be found in Hanoi. In particular, I love the Spanish design team Chula for their originality and merging fun and stylish. Cocoon is also great for originals in vivid colors. For Western designs, Marie Linh and Song are great.

Enjoy!

Sydney NSW
reviews: 2
2. Re: Hanoi

Thank you for that.

Melbourne...
reviews: 73
3. Re: Hanoi

I would recommend you go hoi an very very beautiful it's a must to do in Vietnam.. A lot nicer people, cheaper shopping, not so many hagglers.. Please do it

Melbourne...
reviews: 73
4. Re: Hanoi

There are more stuff to buy in hanoi but hard to bargin, hoi an is very cheap suits and dressers tailors etc

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
5. Re: Hanoi

Shopping is best in Saigon, but Hanoi is the most interesting place in Vietnam.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,128
6. Re: Hanoi

+1 vote to just stay in Hanoi for your shopping. There are quite a few local designer clothing shops we have found on the streets of the old city, competitively priced compared to what you will find back in Sydney for sure. Would also suggest at least a 1 night trip to Halong Bay if you have not considered this for your trip.

Ulm, Germany
reviews: 338
7. Re: Hanoi

5 nights (??) is 4 days: excellent time to stroll though all the areas - however forgte about shopping western style: you won't find and branded stuff - Hanoi is Asia 100% pure (as it was in China 10 years ago and Thailand 20 years ago)

Hoi An is a village, touristic, traquil and lovely but shopping? Stay in Australia...

hanoi
8. Re: Hanoi

Why don't you stay in hanoi go to the silk villages more shopping and heapper price you also see the way pepole do

It only 10km from centrer hanoi I'm sure it will be more intersated

Ulm, Germany
reviews: 338
9. Re: Hanoi

Greetings from HoiAn - what many visitors really disturb in 2012 is that "promotion" is made whereever you are recognized as tourist:

- as pedestrian (of course in front of shops/restaurants)

- on the bike (motorbike drives next to you and make offers

- in the cafe (you sit 30min, 30 different dealers come in and try to sell their BS)

- in the restaurant (you try to enjoy dinner but after you ordered check first the neighbour massage palace sales girl tried to sell her overpriced massage.

We negotiated the massage and came from printed price 370.000 VND down to 130.000 VND - imagine!!!

However if Hoi An city doesn't stop the dealer's behaviour they will loose tourists soon!

Edited: 10:45 am, October 29, 2012
10. Re: Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 31, 2013