We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong bay- worth a trip???

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 2
Halong bay- worth a trip???

I have read conflicting reports about Halong Bay- some say it's a beautiful must-see, but other reports decribe it as a polluted tourist trap. Right now we have booked 3 nights in Hanoi, 1 night in Halong Bay with an all day bout trip and then one more night in Hanoi before heading to points south. Any comments from those of you who have been? My husband as done the islands in the Andaman sea off Phuket and feels at best Halong Bay will be more of the same.

Thanks

Indochine
1. Re: Halong bay- worth a trip???

Hi,

I came back from Halong two week ago. I had a private boat to visit wonderful grottos, many islets look like animals and overnight on Halong Bay. I was kayaking and swimming on Lan Ha Bay (apart of Halong Bay). It is very wonderful trip.

I think when you visit North of Vietnam you should visit Halong Bay as it is the most beautiful natural destination in Vietnam.

Bobby_king

2. Re: Halong bay- worth a trip???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:32 am, July 08, 2005
los gatos, ca
reviews: 1
3. Re: Halong bay- worth a trip???

Ha Long Bay is beautiful and very reminiscent of Guilin in China. The tourist junkies are a bit crowded though. One option is a guided kayaking tour throught some of the limestone areas which will give a more intimate view

vancouver
4. Re: Halong bay- worth a trip???

Whatever you heard is wrong.. Halong bay is heaven on earth,. take a private boat and visit islands and caves. You will remember this for the rest of your life. A trip to North Vietnam without Halong bay is like going to New York and not see Manhattan. It is the most beautiful place on earth.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 16
5. Re: Halong bay- worth a trip???

jerry,

how much was your private boat trip and how long

Indochine
6. Re: Halong bay- worth a trip???

our tourist guide told me about 10 USD per hour - Big boat with capacity about 25 -30 people.

Two day trip/ overnight (from 12.00 AM to 12 AM the next day)on board around 150 - 200 USD per boat with 5 Standard Double room depend on the boat you request.

Bobby_king

Sydney. Australia
reviews: 26
7. Re: Halong bay- worth a trip???

Halong is ok but there is better scenery in Thailand's South. Having said that it is worth a look. Stay on board a boat though and not the mainland. The hotels in Halong are horrible, windy Russian brick things and the food is the WORST in Vietnam!

England
8. Re: Halong bay- worth a trip???

Halong bay was brilliant a must see site. And we only paid $42 for 3 days 2nights including all food on the boat and accomation and food on Cat Ba Island and entry to the National Park.

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: Halong bay- worth a trip???

I will be in Vietnam in December, can anyone provide a name/group that offers the private boat tours for Halong Bay.

Beijing
10. Re: Halong bay- worth a trip???

We will be in Hanoi in two weeks. We are interested in a Ha Lang boat overnight tour. We want a more leisurly tour, not rushing from island to island. Any recommendation - good or bad are welcome.

Thanks,

Fred and Ethel