We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

injections/medication

Which Hanoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
reviews: 2
injections/medication

what injections /medications do you need to get for Vietnam. We are also looking at some time in Cambodia as well.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 86
1. Re: injections/medication

I would be keen to find out too. If I ask the local doctor or ring the travel doctors they tell you that you need everything. We have been to Thailand twice now and haven't bothered with any injections or malarial tablets etc and have been fine.

Are Malaria tablets necessary as I get sick with those? I think if I take a large dose of Vit B1 will that be ok?

Do we need Typhoid, Hep B etc? We will be staying in good hotels and are always careful what we eat anyway.......

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 114
2. Re: injections/medication

hi guys

we had all the heps - tetanus and most of what the doctors tell you you need- we just felt it was no biggie- better to be safe than sorry.

we bought them in the discount chemist and had our doctor administer them.

Anti-malarial I do not think is necessary at all.

medications-

immodium (just in case, but we are careful where we eat and have never needed it anywhere in asia)

panadol - or cold & flu tabs, anti-histamines, and band-aids (sometimes hard to get good quality bandaids and if you get the dreaded blisters on your feet, they're always good to have.

hope this helps.

Coolum Beach...
3. Re: injections/medication

Guys,

See a Doctor with Tropical Medicine Experience ---I myself take Hep A &B, typhoid, cholera, tetanus booster, polio booster!

Never touch Malaria ---have not for 40 years , working in jungle camps ---side affects ---get more expert advice ---Vitamin suppliment is the answer!

plover

Sault Ste. Marie...
reviews: 61
4. Re: injections/medication

I also suggest insect repellent with deet. I had a small cream one in a jar about 60 gm.

melbourne
5. Re: injections/medication

thanks for that tip calie. I was wondering about the mossies. At home here they seem to love me yet funnily enough they haven't been too bad when we went to Bali and Bintan.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 6
6. Re: injections/medication

I'm feeling a bit ignorant about the mozzie repelant with DEET. Is there a brand name that can be bought in Australia that contains DEET?

Aus
reviews: 1
7. Re: injections/medication

Deet (N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide) is in lots of Aussie repellents but the concentration varies. Tropical strength Aerogard has more deet than the regular one. I think there is one called Bushman that has about 80% deet! It can cause skin problems, especially with children, so don't use one that's stronger than you need.

sunshine coast
reviews: 1
8. Re: injections/medication

I traveled to Vietnam and Cambodia November 2006. I had my hep A+B injections over a course of 6 months. I 'm also mossie prone so I took a course of Malaria (only strong penicillin) just to be on the safe side. I had no problems except 4 days back into Australia developed real bad throat that lasted a good six weeks off and on. I'd recommend to take some soothers or vicks with you as they are not easily found.

9. Re: injections/medication

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 29, 2009