We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ha Long Overnight tour from Hai Phong

Which Halong Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
reviews: 11
Ha Long Overnight tour from Hai Phong

We are flying up from Ho Chi Minh City, and to avoid the horrid mini-van trip from Ha Noi are flying into hai Phong. Has anyone joined an overnight tour directly at Ha Long Bay, rather than from Ha Noi? We would be wanting to get back to Ha Noi after the cruise.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
reviews: 31
1. Re: Ha Long Overnight tour from Hai Phong

From Hai Phong the usual route is to take the hydrofoil to Cat Ba Island where you can join a cruise from that point rather than going from Ha Long. It is a shorter trip to get out on the bay.

Cheers Ross

Llanbrynmair...
reviews: 8
2. Re: Ha Long Overnight tour from Hai Phong

Tanya, to the best of my knowledge there are no junk cruises from Haiphong, which means you will have to get yourself from there to Halong City, either by bus to HC and a taxi from there to the wharf, or a taxi all the way to the wharf. You will have to arrive well before 1 pm and book in advance in order to ensure a decent boat and transportation to Hanoi afterwards.

Or of course you could do as Ross says and go over to Cat Ba. If the cruise companies operating from there don't offer return transportation you can take a train from Haiphong to Hanoi.

Edited: 5:22 am, March 30, 2013
Hanoi, Vietnam
3. Re: Ha Long Overnight tour from Hai Phong

I agree with Creakingbones. There are no cruises starting from Cat Ba. If you make a tour from Cat Ba, normally a hydrofoil will take you to visit Lan Ha bay area and you will enjoy lots of kayaking and swimming in this bay. Then, you can stay overnight in draft house in Lan Ha bay or are transfered to Cat Ba island and stay at the hotel.

Llanbrynmair...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Ha Long Overnight tour from Hai Phong

Actually Halongbay_legends there are cruises from Cat Ba, including the overnight ones by Ecofriendly Vietnam, but not from Haiphong. There is absolutely no need to stay in a hotel on the island.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
reviews: 34
5. Re: Ha Long Overnight tour from Hai Phong

It's more than an hour drive from Hai Phong to Halong where you can take the boat trip to Halong Bay. You may then need a private car/ taxi to go or try to find a public bus to go from Hai Phong to Halong City. If you would like to go to Ha Long with a popular/good cruise then you need to book as soon as possible. I met a French couple yesterday who try to book an overnight trip from the list of 7 cruise companies and they could not because they were all fully booked. They ended up going with a cheap one tomorrow but I know it will not be a great experience.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 11
6. Re: Ha Long Overnight tour from Hai Phong

Thanks everyone, that has helped a lot, basically it just seems so much simpler to fly to Hanoi from HCM City, and go from there. I personally did a day trip from there two years ago and was trying to avoid the awful mini van ride at least one way. Looks like we'll just have to suck it up!!

Cheers

7. Re: Ha Long Overnight tour from Hai Phong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 02, 2014