We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

Which Vietnam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kinross, United...
reviews: 53
Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

I am confused and need to act quick to get my visa.

I am based in the UK and booked to visit Vietnam in February 2014.

I live in Scotland and am reluctant to send my passport away to London to the Vietnam Embassy. However if that's the best way I will do it?

Can I send off to one of the agencies for an invitation letter and get a visa on arrival? I am UK passport holder and my partner holds a Polish Passport?

Otherwise will we be better just applying for two multi entry visas via the Embassy in London? If so does anyone have any experience of how long they take to process and if they will send the passports back by registered post,

Advise would be appreciated.

Greg

13 replies to this topic
Chelmsford, United...
reviews: 56
1. Re: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

I too am travelling soon & did not realise I even needed a visa!

The top of the page gives frequently asked questions & it appears from this article that you can get a visa when you get there - not sure I really understand it totally though so will watch your post to see if someone is clear on this!

Chelmsford, United...
2. Re: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

Hmm..

Now I had read this further - it may be an option. I have goggled and clicked on:

myvietnamvisa.com/visa-requirements/united-k…

They seem to be agents to provide visas to pick up on arrival and charge for 2 is about $40. It says it takes 2-3 days

Personally, think I would rather have a recommended agent so please TAs - which agent should we use??????

Lincoln, United...
reviews: 28
3. Re: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

I've used myvietnamvisa lots of times but there are cheaper ones out there. Never heard of a dodgy VOA agent - not much point as you usually pay by credit card. Most deliver the approval letter within a couple of days.

greg4bs .... you can go either way. Embassy route usually takes about a week. Only downer, apart from the eventual cost is that you have to contact them to find out the latest prices. Don't forget to add on the postage costs. Just don't leave it to the last minute, even more so with the Tet holidays coming up. Embassies usually close down for a week or more over Tet.

Edited: 12:05 pm, January 05, 2014
Chelmsford, United...
4. Re: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

Well, I have now ordered from myvietnamvisa

Was easy to do - cost $38 for 2 of us & email confirming 2-3 days delivery has been received.

So far,so good....

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
5. Re: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

Don't forget you will need USD to pay your stamping fee when you arrive in Viet Nam- if single entry visas you will need $45 per person, if multi entry you will need $65pp for less than a 30 days or $95pp for more than 30 days.

UK
reviews: 3
6. Re: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

And the $95 is for 30 days or more of visa VALIDITY when you enter, even if you don't plan to stay the full duration of your visa. If you need a multiple entry visa and aren't planning to stay the full 1 month, you should have 'pre-dated' your visa so you arrive after the original date and have less than 30 days left to ensure you only pay $65 on arrival, not $95. If that doesn't seem clear, it's because the system is strange, issuing visas in MONTHS and then charging for stays depending on the number of DAYS. Welcome to Vietnam where the bureaucracy the French lef behind still flourishes.

England
reviews: 7
7. Re: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

Please tell me in your opinion is it best to get Vietnam Visa in Uk before travel or is it easy to sort get at Vietnam international Airport on Arrival ( as long as you have the required documents) not sure what to do, it cost a lot more to get in Uk but don't want a load of hassle on arrival to Vietnam.

As anyone bought visa at Vietnam Airport - can you advise ?

Llanbrynmair...
reviews: 8
8. Re: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

Lynn, if you use the search box you will find loads of threads on this subject, but for what it's worth I have always used VOA for my trips to Vietnam and shall continue to do so. I've never encountered any hassles or holdups, but I fly to Hanoi rather than HCMC.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 51
9. Re: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

No hassles with VOA either but I fly to Saigon rather than Hanoi. :)

UK
reviews: 3
10. Re: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival

No hassles when I fly to Hanoi OR Saigon, EXCEPT last time.

On the other hand, dealing with the consulate in London is ALWAYS a hassle, since they don't put their prices online and rarely answer the phone. And they're about twice the price of a pre-arranged visa. But at least it's not a hassle after 18 hours of flying.

Reply to: Visa in UK or Letter and Visa on Arrival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted